From: Hugo on

On 18-May-2010, underh20 <underh20.scubadiving(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the maximum number of files allowed in a directory under UFS
> in Solaris 10 ?

It depends on the size of the file system as UFS uses inodes .. the bigger
the file system, the larger the number of inodes available. You can check on
the inode usage by using "df -F ufs -o i"

I dont think ZFS has a limit on the number of files in a directory... the
limit for UFS is *quite* large .. it's in *at least* the 10's of thousands
.... I know Ive had 20k files in a single directory ..

Not sure about thet other's Im afraid... but ZFS is definitely good to go :D

Cya
From: Hugo on

On 19-May-2010, Stefan Krueger <stadtkind2(a)gmx.de> wrote:

> $ ls | wc -l
> 50001
>
> So... I think the max. num of files in a directory is only limited by
> the number of free inodes

Agreed... which is inadvertently determined by the size of the file system
8]