From: Ethics Forge on
Can someone tell me (or link me to someplace that will explain it) why
144pin MicroDIMM (non-ddr) PC100/PC133 modules only seem to go up to
256MB? I for the life of me can't find what, if any, technical
limitation there is, and am curious if it is a technical or market
limitation that makes them only be available up to 256MB.

From: George Macdonald on
On 10 Oct 2006 16:49:19 -0700, "Ethics Forge" <lokkju(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Can someone tell me (or link me to someplace that will explain it) why
>144pin MicroDIMM (non-ddr) PC100/PC133 modules only seem to go up to
>256MB? I for the life of me can't find what, if any, technical
>limitation there is, and am curious if it is a technical or market
>limitation that makes them only be available up to 256MB.

Umm, they do go up to 512MB - check out www.crucial.com for SO-DIMMs,
assuming that's what you meant. Some mfrs may have just decided not to go
to the bother of the special chip packaging for 265M-bit chips or doing
SO-DIMMs using the 512M-bit chips... hardly a volume market.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
From: Ethics Forge on
No, I said, and I meant, MicroDIMM - it is smaller then SO-DIMM, and
generally used in subnotebooks

From: The little lost angel on
wrote:

>Can someone tell me (or link me to someplace that will explain it) why
>144pin MicroDIMM (non-ddr) PC100/PC133 modules only seem to go up to
>256MB? I for the life of me can't find what, if any, technical
>limitation there is, and am curious if it is a technical or market
>limitation that makes them only be available up to 256MB.

I think most manufacturers just don't see much of a market for laptops
that old. So microDIMMs just don't get any bigger than whatever is the
largest at the point the technology got overtaken by DDR and now DDR2.
They just don't bother to make memory chips of higher density for the
older standard.

--
A Lost Angel, fallen from heaven
Lost in dreams, Lost in aspirations,
From: daytripper on
On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 12:57:06 GMT, a?n?g?e?l(a)lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com (The
little lost angel) wrote:

>On 10 Oct 2006 16:49:19 -0700, "Ethics Forge" <lokkju(a)gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Can someone tell me (or link me to someplace that will explain it) why
>>144pin MicroDIMM (non-ddr) PC100/PC133 modules only seem to go up to
>>256MB? I for the life of me can't find what, if any, technical
>>limitation there is, and am curious if it is a technical or market
>>limitation that makes them only be available up to 256MB.
>
>I think most manufacturers just don't see much of a market for laptops
>that old. So microDIMMs just don't get any bigger than whatever is the
>largest at the point the technology got overtaken by DDR and now DDR2.
>They just don't bother to make memory chips of higher density for the
>older standard.

Might be much simpler than that. Perhaps the architecture of the chipsets used
with pc100/pc133 drams simply didn't/don't support more capacity-per-dimm...

/daytripper