From: Chris on
I have a pc AMD 2000+ (home built) that will not power on. It powers
on but no post, no beep codes just cpu fan, power supply fan and hard
disk comes on. I believe it;s the CPU because when the problem
happeed there was alot of dust across the top of the heat-sink
completely covering the top restricting flow of air to the heat-sink.
Since there are no beeps, no post, no video and the dirty heat sink,
I'm guessing the cpu. Can anyone offer any advice? I don't want to
waste money replacing the cpu and I have no known good cpu's or
motherboards for this cpu.

Chris
If life seems jolly rotten
There's spmething you've forgotten
and thats to laugh and smile and dance and sing!
From: KC Computers on
>I have a pc AMD 2000+ (home built) that will not power on. It powers
> on but no post, no beep codes just cpu fan, power supply fan and hard
> disk comes on. I believe it;s the CPU because when the problem
> happeed there was alot of dust across the top of the heat-sink
> completely covering the top restricting flow of air to the heat-sink.
> Since there are no beeps, no post, no video and the dirty heat sink,
> I'm guessing the cpu. Can anyone offer any advice? I don't want to
> waste money replacing the cpu and I have no known good cpu's or
> motherboards for this cpu.

It's pretty rare for a CPU to fail like that. It's more likely a
motherboard
or power supply issue. Can you borrow a power supply to try?

---
KC COMPUTERS www.kc-computers.com
Internet computer dealer since 1991!!! See customer ratings at:
http://www.resellerratings.com/topstores.pl

From: Tony Hill on
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:48:53 GMT, Chris
<christo9(a)notalotofunwanted.aol.com> wrote:

>I have a pc AMD 2000+ (home built) that will not power on. It powers
>on but no post, no beep codes just cpu fan, power supply fan and hard
>disk comes on. I believe it;s the CPU because when the problem
>happeed there was alot of dust across the top of the heat-sink
>completely covering the top restricting flow of air to the heat-sink.
>Since there are no beeps, no post, no video and the dirty heat sink,
>I'm guessing the cpu. Can anyone offer any advice? I don't want to
>waste money replacing the cpu and I have no known good cpu's or
>motherboards for this cpu.

Standard process here is to try to isolate the issue. The problem
sounds like you have an electrical short somewhere in your system,
which means it could be ANY component.

First, pull out ALL unnecessary components, ie any PCI cards, anything
connected to USB, keyboard, mouse, external speakers, hard drives,
floppy, etc. etc. Basically you want to be left with nothing other
than your motherboard, CPU and power supply. At the very least this
should give you some beep complaining about the lack of memory.

If you get nothing at that point, then at least you've narrowed it
down to three parts, CPU, power supply and motherboard. Now, at this
point there are only two options. First is to physically inspect the
parts to see if there is an obvious proble. Most important here is to
check the capacitors on the motherboard to see if they are bulging,
leaking or just otherwise looking ugly. Given the approximate age of
your system, I would give it about a 75% or higher probability that
this is where you problem is.

Now, if a visual inspection doesn't bring up anything obvious, the
second option is to swap parts. Of course, this requires compatible
replacement parts in order to test things, so hopefully you've got a
similar spare PC lying about and/or have a friend that does. Swap
parts out one at a time to try to isolate the issue, then replace the
defective part.
----------------------------
Tony Hill
From: Arno Wagner on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Chris <christo9(a)notalotofunwanted.aol.com> wrote:
> I have a pc AMD 2000+ (home built) that will not power on. It powers
> on but no post, no beep codes just cpu fan, power supply fan and hard
> disk comes on. I believe it;s the CPU because when the problem
> happeed there was alot of dust across the top of the heat-sink
> completely covering the top restricting flow of air to the heat-sink.
> Since there are no beeps, no post, no video and the dirty heat sink,
> I'm guessing the cpu. Can anyone offer any advice? I don't want to
> waste money replacing the cpu and I have no known good cpu's or
> motherboards for this cpu.

If the HDD starts, then both +5V and +12V from the PSU is
reasonably good. HDDs have bad power detectors so they can
decide when to spin-up and spin-down.

One way you could get your symptoms is if the reset line
(called power-good) from the PSU is failing. HDDs atsrt on
their own. The way to test for this is with a different
PSU.

If the CPU is broken, you should get the according
beep code (or POST code, if your mainboard has a POST display).
However if it is partially broken, that may not work....

One thing you may try is removing the CPU and see whether you
get beep codes. If you do not, then the mainboard is likely
broken. This does not matter a lot, since you cannot get
CPUs or mainboards from that generation anymore anyways.

But first, remove everything, except CPU, RAM and video card.
See wheter it still does not start. Then test with a different
PSU. Then you can try the CPU removal experiment.

Arno

From: George Macdonald on
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:48:53 GMT, Chris
<christo9(a)notalotofunwanted.aol.com> wrote:

>I have a pc AMD 2000+ (home built) that will not power on. It powers
>on but no post, no beep codes just cpu fan, power supply fan and hard
>disk comes on. I believe it;s the CPU because when the problem
>happeed there was alot of dust across the top of the heat-sink
>completely covering the top restricting flow of air to the heat-sink.
>Since there are no beeps, no post, no video and the dirty heat sink,
>I'm guessing the cpu. Can anyone offer any advice? I don't want to
>waste money replacing the cpu and I have no known good cpu's or
>motherboards for this cpu.

Sounds about the right time frame for the capacitor problem - check the
capacitors, especially the cluster near the CPU, for doming of the top and
leakage around the base. See www.badcaps.com for examples.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald