From: Arno Wagner on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Chris <christo9(a)notalotofunwanted.aol.com> wrote:
> On 16 Nov 2006 15:02:04 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
>>> On 16 Nov 2006 00:36:03 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> put finger
>>> to keyboard and composed:

>>> If the CPU is not present or is not working, then you will not get any
>>> beep codes.
>>
>>That is wrong. The beep codes are produced by the keyboard
>>MCU and that will beep a "CPU not present" if it is not
>>contacted by the CPU after a certain time.
>>
>>Arno

> Thanks for the replies so far... I have swapped the power supply for a
> known good supply, removed all cards, usb cables ram etc... Still no
> change. No beep codes and the CPU (heat sink) does not get warm at
> all. I gave it a good visual inspection under a magnifying glass (I
> am a pc technician) and there does not appear to be any problem with
> the motherboard. CPU's are still available for this system, but I'm
> not sure about MB's except maybe used... I have a post card but it's
> ISA and the MB doesn't have any ISA slots. I can try to boot the
> system with no cpu and see what happens. It's been very rare in my
> experience for a cpu to go bad,

I agree to that. Basically only the very visible "chip is burnt"
type, when the heatsink falls off an older CPU.

> in over 10 years I've only seen one
> and it was a bad cache on a g3 chip, but at work I've always had known
> good equipment and with this I don't and I am not working at the
> moment. Any other ideas?

Well, the total no-reaction would lead me to believe that the
chipset is shot. With no CPU you should get a beep-code.
If not, the board is broken.

Arno
From: Franc Zabkar on
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 20:30:54 -0500, Tony Hill
<hilla_nospam_20(a)yahoo.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:12:43 +1100, Franc Zabkar
><fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
>>On 16 Nov 2006 00:36:03 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> put finger
>>to keyboard and composed:
>>>If the HDD starts, then both +5V and +12V from the PSU is
>>>reasonably good. HDDs have bad power detectors so they can
>>>decide when to spin-up and spin-down.
>>>
>>>One way you could get your symptoms is if the reset line
>>>(called power-good) from the PSU is failing. HDDs atsrt on
>>>their own. The way to test for this is with a different
>>>PSU.
>>>
>>>If the CPU is broken, you should get the according
>>>beep code (or POST code, if your mainboard has a POST display).
>>>However if it is partially broken, that may not work....
>>>
>>>One thing you may try is removing the CPU and see whether you
>>>get beep codes. If you do not, then the mainboard is likely
>>>broken.
>>
>>If the CPU is not present or is not working, then you will not get any
>>beep codes.
>
>That depends entirely on the system and how the CPU failed. Some
>systems will beep if they do not detect a CPU, others will not. Of
>those that will beep if a CPU is not detected, they *might* beep if
>the CPU has failed or they might not. Beep codes are (usually)
>handled entirely by the motherboard with no CPU intervention.
>----------------------------
>Tony Hill

Just to be clear, you don't mean *all* the POST beep codes, do you?

- Franc Zabkar
From: Trent on
On 16 Nov 2006 15:02:04 GMT Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in Message
id: <4s3crcFthuckU1(a)mid.individual.net>:

>That is wrong. The beep codes are produced by the keyboard
>MCU and that will beep a "CPU not present" if it is not
>contacted by the CPU after a certain time.

Proof please. The beep codes are generated from the 8254 timer chip, which
must be programmed by the processor. If the processor is missing or cannot
do code/data fetches from the BIOS ROM, there are *no* post codes. Period.
From: The little lost angel on
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 05:20:07 -0500, Trent <none(a)dev.nul.pissoff>
wrote:

>On 16 Nov 2006 15:02:04 GMT Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in Message
>id: <4s3crcFthuckU1(a)mid.individual.net>:
>
>>That is wrong. The beep codes are produced by the keyboard
>>MCU and that will beep a "CPU not present" if it is not
>>contacted by the CPU after a certain time.
>
>Proof please. The beep codes are generated from the 8254 timer chip, which
>must be programmed by the processor. If the processor is missing or cannot
>do code/data fetches from the BIOS ROM, there are *no* post codes. Period.

I had seen modern motherboards which are able to tell if the CPU is
not working. Specifically on an older AOpen K7 board, I had the
occasion where the board was able to tell me "Your CPU may have a
problem" using the beeper as a voice speaker.

My older MSI Socket A board also had a diagnostic LED that had codes
for a improperly installed or non-functional CPU, basically equates to
a dead CPU.

My current one probably has beep codes for that as well but I'm too
lazy to dig up the manual :ppPp

--
A Lost Angel, fallen from heaven
Lost in dreams, Lost in aspirations,
From: Arno Wagner on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Trent <none(a)dev.nul.pissoff> wrote:
> On 16 Nov 2006 15:02:04 GMT Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in Message
> id: <4s3crcFthuckU1(a)mid.individual.net>:

>>That is wrong. The beep codes are produced by the keyboard
>>MCU and that will beep a "CPU not present" if it is not
>>contacted by the CPU after a certain time.

> Proof please. The beep codes are generated from the 8254 timer chip, which
> must be programmed by the processor. If the processor is missing or cannot
> do code/data fetches from the BIOS ROM, there are *no* post codes. Period.

Since your information is wrong, I don't feel I have to proof
anything. But please remain unenlightened, if you want.

Otherwise have a look at the schematics again. Should be at least PC-AT,
since I think the original PC and XT actually could not do this AFAIK.

Arno