From: AccessKay on
I'm floundering about and need someone to point me in the right direction. I
have two tables:

tblCostCat
CostCatNm-PK-text
TypeID-text
GrpTypeID-text

tblTransData
ID-PK-number
Employee-text
CostCatNm-text
TransDate-date
Hours-number

I need to populate the tblTransData with the TypeID in tblCostCat. I'm not
that experience with update queries but created one recently for another task
and thought I'd use the same logic. I'll leave out all the details about
this because it didn't work and I'm pretty sure I was going about it wrong.

What's the best or easiest way to do this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

From: KARL DEWEY on
It seems that you are mixing terms. An Update query revises the data in an
existing record. An Append query adds new records.
I do not see a need for either in your case.
If you want to see the TypeID field when you display tblTransData records
just do it in a query like this --

SELECT TypeID, GrpTypeID, Employee, CostCatNm, TransDate, Hours
FROM tblCostCat LEFT JOIN tblTransData ON tblCostCat.CostCatNm =
tblTransData.CostCatNm;

--
Build a little, test a little.

From: AccessKay on
Hi Karl…you're absolutely right as usual. I was way off in a different
direction! Thanks for setting me straight.