Prev: Bye
From: Todd Allcock on
At 03 Jun 2010 21:47:03 -0400 Stephen Harris wrote:

> > > I wonder if Google is still archiving them?
>
> > Yes Google Groups is still updating their database as your post above.
>
> If you look at the top of most posts (using a real news reader; dunno
> about googlegroups) you'll see a Path: header. Your post had this:

> That's a list of all the different servers your message went through
before
> I got to see it. You'll notice there's no microsoft server in the list.
>
> As long as enough servers carry the group and as long as there is enough
> "connectivity" (to allow the messages to propogate) then microsoft
doesn't
> need to be involved.
>
> Now the "shutdown" message does show a MSN originating server (phx.gbl -
> which is a stupid old MSN hangover from when Microsoft didn't believe in
> the Internet) but this could be front-loaded and fake

<snip header>

> I've no idea if the message is true or fake, but if there aren't many
> people actually using it via the MSN servers and as long as there is
> sufficient propogation _and_ as long as rmgroup's aren't sent and
> actioned then there's a good chance this group and traffic will survive.
> It's actually very hard to kill a newsgroup once sufficient propogation
> exists :-)

I can assure you the message was real. We MVPs were given a heads-up a
week or two before the announcement, but were told not to say anything
until it went public.

Good to know the group(s) should still be around as long as anyone
continues using them.

From: Todd Allcock on
At 03 Jun 2010 20:11:48 -0600 Roger 2008 wrote:

> "Todd Allcock" <elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Roger 2008" <rwpcs(a)att.net> wrote in message
> > > I've been thinking. Sure microsoft might take down their newsgroup
> > > servers
> > > but a copy of their newsgroup is on a lot of other different
newgroup
> > > servers and I doubt if they will be able to do anything about the
> copies.
> > >
> > > In other words, if you aren't using news.microsoft.com as your
newsgroup
> > > server this NG might stay up.
> >
> > Interesting point. I hadn't considered that. Hopefully the Microsoft
> > announcements haven't scared everyone away!
> >
> > I wonder if Google is still archiving them?
>
> Yes Google Groups is still updating their database as your post above.
>
> I've learned a lot from this group and I'd hate to see it disappear
> completely.. I still use programs I heard about here like PIM backup,
> diamond tweak and vxWeb to name a few.
>
> Hey Todd, I ended up buying a used Xperia X1 and I have yet to try the
new
> slingplayer on it because I recently heard the latest slingplayer
mobile was
> designed for WVGA screens. Slingplayer for Mobile didn't look that way
when
> I tried it on a VGA screen but I'll give it another shot sometime on a
WVGA
> screen
>
> The Xperia has a lot of neat things besides the WVGA screen like the
Panels
> where one panel has a built in program launcher, the ability to change
the
> quality of the bluetooth stereo, the fact it has a real headphone jack,
it
> has an FM radio built in provided there is a headphone plugged in
because it
> uses the headphone for the FM antenna.
>
> But the Xperia X1 has a few drawbacks too. It's reception isn't quite
as
> good as I'm used to but there is a fix for that listed on the internet
> somewhere, it doesn't have voice command so it can't announce incoming
calls
> and it doesn't have a magnetic stylus so you can't unlock the phone
just by
> pulling out the stylus but it is still a neat phone and it is solid as a
> brick.

Yeah, one of my fellow MVPs convinced me to try the X1 after my Tilt
threw a seven. I was leaning towards a Treo Pro. He even sourced me a
relatively cheap X1 from eBay in the UK and shipped it to me. (The phone
is fairly common there, and sellers unwilling to ship outside the UK
don't get as high a price.)

The UK version lacks 850MHZ 3G (it subs 900 for 850, but I'm on T-Mo, so
I wouldn't get 3G with any version) but the camera does 25 fps video
(apparently a US-version chipset issue crippled the video camera a bit.)

Overall I like it- the real 3.5mm headphone jack is a godsend after the
stupid non-standard jacks in my last several phones, but the radio
reception does stink compared to the last two HTC phones I used
regularly, and the black paint chips off the battery cover if you look at
it cross-eyed.

But it is a solid device. Some of the XDA-dev "enhancements" look
enticing, but the stock Vodafone ROM it came with is rock-solid stable,
so I'm sticking with it. (Frankly, I don't care much for WM 6.5
"improvements" so I have little incentive to play with cooked ROMs.)

I miss Voice Command a little, and video plackback with Coreplayer drops
a few frames, (but then again, it's displaying nearly five times the
pixels as my Tilt!) but I'm happy. I'll probably still grab a Treo Pro
if I catch a good deal (I still miss having an IR port for my handheld
Sipix printers!) but I'll take the X1 over the latest and greatest WinMos
like the HD2 and TP2- I don't think I could ever get used to working
without a D-pad!

The X1 should hold me until I'm forced to decide between WP7, an Android
phone, or Nokia's N8 next year.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Bye