From: Eep² on
I have a McAfee VirusScan DAT updater called MCUP (McAfee DAT Updater,
http://tnlc.com/eep/mcup.zip ) (readme at http://tnlc.com/eep/mcup.txt
) which I've been using since 2003, that stopped working after April
2, 2010 (when McAfee changed their antivirus DAT zip file name--avv-
dat####.tar now) and contents). It no longer works so I'm back to
manually downloading DAT files for the command-line version (I refuse
to have the bloatware GUI AntiVirus constantly running in the
background). Can anyone can create a program to download the latest
DAT file at http://download.nai.com/products/commonupdater/ or
ftp://ftp.nai.com/pub/antivirus/datfiles/4.x/ (now only has a tar
file--no zip--but the SuperDAT exe can be manually extracted via "/e"
switch for its DATs) and verify it against the current DATs so they
are not mindlessly redownloaded? I have command-line wget and unzip
programs and use a batch file to rename and move the DATs. Even better
would be to use the incremental DAT updates in http://download.nai.com/products/commonupdater/
(*.gem files) instead of having to download the obnoxiously large
~70MB (and growing with each update) compiled DAT file.

Thanks!

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.anti-virus/browse_thread/thread/51fe27c5ed9e2c00/6e41b091483b7220
to see the original thread and a more recent thread on McAfee's site
(no response so far) at http://community.mcafee.com/thread/24897
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Eep�" <eepNOSPAM(a)tnlc.com>

| I have a McAfee VirusScan DAT updater called MCUP (McAfee DAT Updater,
| http://tnlc.com/eep/mcup.zip ) (readme at http://tnlc.com/eep/mcup.txt
| ) which I've been using since 2003, that stopped working after April
| 2, 2010 (when McAfee changed their antivirus DAT zip file name--avv-
| dat####.tar now) and contents). It no longer works so I'm back to
| manually downloading DAT files for the command-line version (I refuse
| to have the bloatware GUI AntiVirus constantly running in the
| background). Can anyone can create a program to download the latest
| DAT file at http://download.nai.com/products/commonupdater/ or
| ftp://ftp.nai.com/pub/antivirus/datfiles/4.x/ (now only has a tar
| file--no zip--but the SuperDAT exe can be manually extracted via "/e"
| switch for its DATs) and verify it against the current DATs so they
| are not mindlessly redownloaded? I have command-line wget and unzip
| programs and use a batch file to rename and move the DATs. Even better
| would be to use the incremental DAT updates in
| http://download.nai.com/products/commonupdater/
| (*.gem files) instead of having to download the obnoxiously large
| ~70MB (and growing with each update) compiled DAT file.

| Thanks!

| http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.anti-virus/browse_thread/thread/
| 51fe27c5ed9e2c00/6e41b091483b7220
| to see the original thread and a more recent thread on McAfee's site
| (no response so far) at http://community.mcafee.com/thread/24897

Ditto. McAfee has changed their motus operandi. The SuperDAT no longer contains the
command line scanner and they no longer use UPDATE.INI and they are integrating the
scaners engines and signatures of companies they recently purcahsed.

This has caused a detriment to the McAfee Module of my Multi AV Scanning Tool.

--
Dave

From: gufus on
Hello, David!

You wrote on Wed, 19 May 2010 17:28:23 -0400:

DHL> This has caused a detriment to the McAfee Module of my Multi AV
DHL> Scanning Tool.

Those company's eh... always changing something.. pitches me a curve ball
too.

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "gufus" <stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca>

| Hello, David!

| You wrote on Wed, 19 May 2010 17:28:23 -0400:

DHL>> This has caused a detriment to the McAfee Module of my Multi AV
DHL>> Scanning Tool.

| Those company's eh... always changing something.. pitches me a curve ball
| too.

Trend Micro too.

They cahnged the web page that shows the signature update version.

It is fixed in my Multi AV v7.x Beta but I can't fix the McAfee module.

Think of replacing it.

--
Dave

From: Eep² on
On May 19, 2:28 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> From: "Eep²" <eepNOS...(a)tnlc.com>
>
> | I have a McAfee VirusScan DAT updater called MCUP (McAfee DAT Updater,
> |http://tnlc.com/eep/mcup.zip) (readme athttp://tnlc.com/eep/mcup.txt
> | ) which I've been using since 2003, that stopped working after April
> | 2, 2010 (when McAfee changed their antivirus DAT zip file name--avv-
> | dat####.tar now) and contents). It no longer works so I'm back to
> | manually downloading DAT files for the command-line version (I refuse
> | to have the bloatware GUI AntiVirus constantly running in the
> | background). Can anyone can create a program to download the latest
> | DAT file athttp://download.nai.com/products/commonupdater/or
> |ftp://ftp.nai.com/pub/antivirus/datfiles/4.x/(now only has a tar
> | file--no zip--but the SuperDAT exe can be manually extracted via "/e"
> | switch for its DATs) and verify it against the current DATs so they
> | are not mindlessly redownloaded? I have command-line wget and unzip
> | programs and use a batch file to rename and move the DATs. Even better
> | would be to use the incremental DAT updates in
> |http://download.nai.com/products/commonupdater/
> | (*.gem files) instead of having to download the obnoxiously large
> | ~70MB (and growing with each update) compiled DAT file.
>
> | Thanks!
>
> |http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.anti-virus/browse_thread/thread/51fe27c5ed9e2c00/6e41b091483b7220
> | to see the original thread and a more recent thread on McAfee's site
> | (no response so far) at http://community.mcafee.com/thread/24897
>
> Ditto.  McAfee has changed their motus operandi.  The SuperDAT no longer contains the
> command line scanner and they no longer use UPDATE.INI and they are integrating the
> scaners engines and signatures of companies they recently purcahsed.
>
> This has caused a detriment to the McAfee Module of my Multi AV Scanning Tool.

You can get engine updates at ftp://ftp.nai.com/pub/antivirus/engine/4.x/