From: BillW50 on
In
CJB typed on Tue, 27 Apr 2010 00:03:12 -0700 (PDT):
> The mind boggles how a company that purports to be a professional s/w
> company producing a virus protection service could get it so wrong. It
> was either exteme incompetance (and it should go out of business) or
> it was deliberate sabotage. I would opine it was probably the latter.
> My PC wasn't affected 'cos I have XP SP3 running Norton. But then
> Nortom doesn't have a squeaky clean reputation either. Many on the
> Groups <e.g. microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general > have posted
> complaints of McAfee and Norton screwing up the registry.
>
> In particular McAfee came pre-installed on my new Acer netbook.
> Apparently it screwed up the registry settings for IE8 running on Win
> 7. This in turn meant that IE8 wouldn't activate hyperlinks and
> wouldn't start new tabs or windows. MS itself have had to issue a
> special cmd file to run to re-register IE8 dlls. The MS MVPs have also
> told me to remove both Norton and McAfee (if installed) and use virus
> protection apps. from elsewhere. This has wasted an inordinate amount
> of my time.
>
> Am NOT impressed with McAfee. CJB.

I am in total agreement with you CJB. Although I remember back in the
late 90's, McAfee was one of the better ones. Then they got fancy and
then had lots of compatibility problems. And I haven't used them in many
years. These Gateway MX6124 laptops came with McAfee software. I played
around with them and then uninstalled them.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2