From: Jesse F. Hughes on
stevendaryl3016(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) writes:

> Like Jesse, I misunderstood your notation.
>
> So you are saying that the conjunction of a true sentence
> with a false sentence is neither true nor false? That is
> completely bizarre.

Well, almost.

He says the conjunction of a *necessarily* (not contingently) true
sentence with a false sentence is neither true nor false.

--
Jesse F. Hughes.
Me: It's very sad when one's husband or wife dies.
From: Daryl McCullough on
Jesse F. Hughes says...

>stevendaryl3016(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) writes:
>
>> Like Jesse, I misunderstood your notation.
>>
>> So you are saying that the conjunction of a true sentence
>> with a false sentence is neither true nor false? That is
>> completely bizarre.
>
>Well, almost.
>
>He says the conjunction of a *necessarily* (not contingently) true
>sentence with a false sentence is neither true nor false.

Well, in the case of arithmetic, presumably everything that is true
is necessarily true, right? Everything that is false is necessarily
false.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Newberry on
On Aug 12, 10:15 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:
> Jesse F. Hughes says...
>
> >stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) writes:
>
> >> Like Jesse, I misunderstood your notation.
>
> >> So you are saying that the conjunction of a true sentence
> >> with a false sentence is neither true nor false? That is
> >> completely bizarre.
>
> >Well, almost.
>
> >He says the conjunction of a *necessarily* (not contingently) true
> >sentence with a false sentence is neither true nor false.
>
> Well, in the case of arithmetic, presumably everything that is true
> is necessarily true, right? Everything that is false is necessarily
> false.

Right, that is why

>~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm)

is ~(T v F) if (Ex)Pxm is false. I recommend reading section 2.2.
Truth-relevance is a very simple concept.

From: Newberry on
On Aug 12, 8:35 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:
> Newberry says...

> >> What's vacuous about G=F6del's theorem or the G=F6del sentence of a theor=
> >y?
>
> >Nothing vacuous about G=F6del's theorem. At least I would not put it
> >that way.
>
> >Let
>
> >   ~(Ex)(Ey)(Pxy & Qy)                       (G)
>
> >be G=F6del's sentence, where Pxy means x is the proof of y, and only one
> >y = m satisfies Q, m being the G=F6del number of G.
>
> >I will now simplify for the sake of brevity. (More details in Section
> >3 of my paper.) Let us pick y = m. We obtain
>
> >   ~(Ex)(Pxm & Qm)
>
> >The above is vacuous ("vacuously true" according to classical logic)
> >since ~(Ex)Pxm.
>
> That's just bizarre. With the interpretation that Qm holds
> only if m is the Godel number of the Godel sentence G, then
> (Pxm & Qm) says
>
> "x is a code for a proof of the formula whose code is m
> and m is the code for G"
>
> which is just an indirect way of saying
> "x is code for a proof of G".
>
> So ~(Ex) (Pxm & Qm)
>
> is an indirect way of saying "There is no proof of G".
>
> Calling it vacuous is just bizarre. Why in the world would
> you want to do that?

Because ~(Ex)Pxm. The sentence above is equivalent to

(x)(Pxm -> ~Qm)

It is clearly "vacuously true" (in classcal logic), is it not? And as
such it is equivalen to

(x)((x # x) -> ~Qm)

From: Daryl McCullough on
Newberry says...

>On Aug 12, 8:35=A0am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
>wrote:

>> That's just bizarre. With the interpretation that Qm holds
>> only if m is the Godel number of the Godel sentence G, then
>> (Pxm & Qm) says
>>
>> "x is a code for a proof of the formula whose code is m
>> and m is the code for G"
>>
>> which is just an indirect way of saying
>> "x is code for a proof of G".
>>
>> So ~(Ex) (Pxm & Qm)
>>
>> is an indirect way of saying "There is no proof of G".
>>
>> Calling it vacuous is just bizarre. Why in the world would
>> you want to do that?
>
>Because ~(Ex)Pxm. The sentence above is equivalent to
>
>(x)(Pxm -> ~Qm)
>
>It is clearly "vacuously true" (in classcal logic), is it not?

It seems to me that all true formulas of arithmetic are
vacuously true. It's not an interesting concept.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY