From: Daryl McCullough on
Newberry says...

>If (Ex)Pxm is necessarily false then according to the principles of
>truth-relevant logic
>
>~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm)
>
>is ~(T v F).

No, it's ~(T & F).

>The reason is that it is analogous to
>
>~(Q & (P & ~P))
>
>Please see section 2.2 of my paper.

So you are saying that ~(Qm & (Ex) Pxm) IS vacuously true?

Look, if m is the Godel number of G, and G is not provable,
then (Ex) Pxm is false, right? Then (Qm & (Ex)Pxm) is also
false, right? But its negation is neither true nor false?
That's weird.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Newberry on
On Aug 12, 5:18 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:
> Newberry says...
>
> >If (Ex)Pxm is necessarily false then according to the principles of
> >truth-relevant logic
>
> >~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm)
>
> >is ~(T v F).
>
> No, it's ~(T & F).
>
> >The reason is that it is analogous to
>
> >~(Q & (P & ~P))
>
> >Please see section 2.2 of my paper.
>
> So you are saying that ~(Qm & (Ex) Pxm) IS vacuously true?

I am saying it is ~(T v F).

> Look, if m is the Godel number of G, and G is not provable,
> then (Ex) Pxm is false, right?

Right.

> Then (Qm & (Ex)Pxm) is also
> false, right?

Wrong. It is ~(T v F).

From: Daryl McCullough on
Newberry says...

>On Aug 12, 6:41=A0am, Aatu Koskensilta <aatu.koskensi...(a)uta.fi> wrote:

>> > It is funny, then, that the overwhelming majority of respondents here
>> > *do* regard vacuous sentences like Goedel's theorem as true.
>>
>> What's vacuous about G=F6del's theorem or the G=F6del sentence of a theor=
>y?
>
>Nothing vacuous about G=F6del's theorem. At least I would not put it
>that way.
>
>Let
>
> ~(Ex)(Ey)(Pxy & Qy) (G)
>
>be G=F6del's sentence, where Pxy means x is the proof of y, and only one
>y = m satisfies Q, m being the G=F6del number of G.
>
>I will now simplify for the sake of brevity. (More details in Section
>3 of my paper.) Let us pick y = m. We obtain
>
> ~(Ex)(Pxm & Qm)
>
>The above is vacuous ("vacuously true" according to classical logic)
>since ~(Ex)Pxm.

That's just bizarre. With the interpretation that Qm holds
only if m is the Godel number of the Godel sentence G, then
(Pxm & Qm) says

"x is a code for a proof of the formula whose code is m
and m is the code for G"

which is just an indirect way of saying
"x is code for a proof of G".

So ~(Ex) (Pxm & Qm)

is an indirect way of saying "There is no proof of G".

Calling it vacuous is just bizarre. Why in the world would
you want to do that?

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Daryl McCullough on
Newberry says...

>On Aug 12, 5:18=A0am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
>wrote:
>> Newberry says...
>>
>> >If (Ex)Pxm is necessarily false then according to the principles of
>> >truth-relevant logic
>>
>> >~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm)
>>
>> >is ~(T v F).
>>
>> No, it's ~(T & F).
>>
>> >The reason is that it is analogous to
>>
>> >~(Q & (P & ~P))
>>
>> >Please see section 2.2 of my paper.
>>
>> So you are saying that ~(Qm & (Ex) Pxm) IS vacuously true?
>
>I am saying it is ~(T v F).

Well, it's not. It's of the form ~(T & F).

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Daryl McCullough on
Newberry says...

>On Aug 12, 5:18=A0am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
>wrote:
>> Newberry says...
>>
>> >If (Ex)Pxm is necessarily false then according to the principles of
>> >truth-relevant logic
>>
>> >~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm)
>>
>> >is ~(T v F).
>>
>> No, it's ~(T & F).
>>
>> >The reason is that it is analogous to
>>
>> >~(Q & (P & ~P))
>>
>> >Please see section 2.2 of my paper.
>>
>> So you are saying that ~(Qm & (Ex) Pxm) IS vacuously true?
>
>I am saying it is ~(T v F).
>>
>> Look, if m is the Godel number of G, and G is not provable,
>> then (Ex) Pxm is false, right?
>
>Right.
>
>> Then (Qm & (Ex)Pxm) is also
>> false, right?
>
>Wrong. It is ~(T v F).

Like Jesse, I misunderstood your notation.

So you are saying that the conjunction of a true sentence
with a false sentence is neither true nor false? That is
completely bizarre.

If I say: "Newberry posted a message to sci.logic, and then
later robbed a bank" I've said something that is neither true
nor false?

You can't possibly be serious!

--
Daryl McCullough