From: Wolfgang Draxinger on
Hi there,

For an application in realtime video processing I got a bunch of
high-res webcams. So far I had each one connected to a individual USB
port of the processing computer. However now those cameras are to be
combined into a single casing and connected over a long (in terms of
USB-long) link, so repeaters will be needed. Since a repeater is
essentially just a hub, it makes sense if as much cameras as
possible share a link.

But to do that I need to know, how much bandwidth a single camera
actually consumes (depending on the selected video format and
parameters). With raw video it's easy to evaluate, but if the format is
compressed the required bandwidth largely depends on the quality of
the compression encoder (for example many (early) h264 hardware encoders
compress worse than MPEG2).

One option is experimentation, but I'd rather model it numerically.

Does anyone know a ready to use method for measurement? Or do I have to
write some tool to process usbmon output?

Wolfgang