From: fortunatus on
I'm sure all the hard problems in robotics have been addressed with
Lisp. Planning, Vision, etc. How about the simplest, most widely
useable? A simple sequential controller that does step-by-step
operations, like an "drum timer", for coding sequencing of mechanical
operation? Cylinder A out, wait for sensor, Cylinder B out, wait for
sensor, dwell, Cylinder B in, wait for sensor, Cylinder A in, wait for
sensor, wait for handshake, repeat.

The main issue is the tying together of the parts of sofware that
control the machinery - binary i/o drivers, motor drivers, etc. A
messaging or status posting system.

And a central sequencer, with some kind of DSL.

(I enjoyed reading Erin Gatt's stuff on spacecraft control, wish I had
more access to descriptions of his full system. Erin, care to offer
bibliography? I'm thinking simpler here, but think nevertheless
recourses for malfunctions could really incorporate some similar
ideas.)
From: Gene on
On Aug 5, 12:40 pm, fortunatus <daniel.elia...(a)excite.com> wrote:
> I'm sure all the hard problems in robotics have been addressed with
> Lisp.  Planning, Vision, etc.  How about the simplest, most widely
> useable?  A simple sequential controller that does step-by-step
> operations, like an "drum timer", for coding sequencing of mechanical
> operation?  Cylinder A out, wait for sensor, Cylinder B out, wait for
> sensor, dwell, Cylinder B in, wait for sensor, Cylinder A in, wait for
> sensor, wait for handshake, repeat.
>
> The main issue is the tying together of the parts of sofware that
> control the machinery - binary i/o drivers, motor drivers, etc.  A
> messaging or status posting system.
>
> And a central sequencer, with some kind of DSL.
>
> (I enjoyed reading Erin Gatt's stuff on spacecraft control, wish I had
> more access to descriptions of his full system.  Erin, care to offer
> bibliography?  I'm thinking simpler here, but think nevertheless
> recourses for malfunctions could really incorporate some similar
> ideas.)

Hedgehog Lisp http://hedgehog.oliotalo.fi/ is interesting for embedded
control. Looks like the project has not gone very far for the last
few years, though.