From: Zaz on
Anyone familiar with this situation:

You're at the gym listening to on your mobile phone through your
earphones. As your running the earphone jack comes out. What you want to
happen is that your phone pauses the music until you can plug your
earphones back in. But the phone designers thought it would be a better
idea start playing your music on the phone loudspeaker!

If that wasn't bad enough on many phones if you plug the earphones back
in the phone won't switch back to playing through the earphones and will
continue blasting your music through loudspeaker until you've:

1. Pressed the unlock key combination.
2. Entered your 5 digit security code.
3. Selected the correct audio output option.

Does anyone else think is quite a huge design flaw? I think there's much
potential for embarrassment because of this.
From: alexd on
On 31/05/10 09:23, Zaz wrote:

> You're at the gym listening to on your mobile phone through your
> earphones. As your running the earphone jack comes out. What you want to
> happen is that your phone pauses the music until you can plug your
> earphones back in. But the phone designers thought it would be a better
> idea start playing your music on the phone loudspeaker!

Every electronic device I've used that has a speaker and an earphone
socket switches over to the speaker when the earphones are disconnected
and vice versa. They'd need a pretty good reason to go against this
design convention.

Having said that, I've just tested this on the Mrs' Nokia 5200 and it
does what you've asked for, albeit with a fraction of a second of audio
from the speaker before pausing.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
10:03:27 up 33 days, 10:56, 0 users, load average: 0.10, 0.13, 0.11
From: Mark Ingle on
alexd <troffasky(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Every electronic device I've used that has a speaker and an earphone
> socket switches over to the speaker when the earphones are disconnected
> and vice versa. They'd need a pretty good reason to go against this
> design convention.

Thank goodness the iPod/iPhones don't do this; as the OP said, this
could be rather embarrassing. On the iPods, if one pulls the headphone
jack out, the music is paused, and if one wants it to play from the
speaker, one just unpauses it.
From: Andy Scott on

"Mark Ingle" <markinglenospam(a)nospamfastmail.fm> wrote in message
> alexd <troffasky(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Every electronic device I've used that has a speaker and an earphone
>> socket switches over to the speaker when the earphones are disconnected
>> and vice versa. They'd need a pretty good reason to go against this
>> design convention.
>>
> Thank goodness the iPod/iPhones don't do this; as the OP said, this
> could be rather embarrassing. On the iPods, if one pulls the headphone
> jack out, the music is paused, and if one wants it to play from the
> speaker, one just unpauses it.

The Sony Ericsson W995 pauses the music and asks you if you want to continue
playback through the speakers when you pull the earphones out

From: someone on
On 31 May 2010 08:23 GMT, Zaz <zaz(a)zaz.zaz> wrote:

>there's much potential for embarrassment because of this.

An idea to name the make and model (for the rest of us to avoid) !