From: TVeblen on
What could cause the 4-pin processor power connector on a motherboard to
melt and deform?
From: Sjouke Burry on
TVeblen wrote:
> What could cause the 4-pin processor power connector on a motherboard to
> melt and deform?
A bad connection, which produces heat on a component unable
to get rid of the heat fast enough.
Result: baked connector.
Solution:new connector on cable and motherboard.
From: Paul on
TVeblen wrote:
> What could cause the 4-pin processor power connector on a motherboard to
> melt and deform?

Are you careful to mate the latches on the power connector(s) ?

The connectors can "thermal walk-out" from the motherboard. As the
connector gets warm, it expands a bit. Over hundreds of power cycles,
power connectors can gradually work themselves out of the socket.
The latch on the 2x2 and main power connectors, is intended to snap
together, to keep the contacts fully engaged, and prevent walkout.
Once the connector walks out, the badly made connection arcs and
heats up, damaging the pins.

It could also be a problem with the Vcore circuit itself, or even
a partial short on the CPU side of the circuit. That could cause
an abnormal level of current flow on the 12V.

Even extreme overclocking, could burn the pins. An example would be
a D 805 overclocked to 4GHz, which draws well over 200 watts.

Paul
From: TVeblen on
On 6/7/2010 6:29 PM, Paul wrote:
> TVeblen wrote:
>> What could cause the 4-pin processor power connector on a motherboard
>> to melt and deform?
>
> Are you careful to mate the latches on the power connector(s) ?
>
> The connectors can "thermal walk-out" from the motherboard. As the
> connector gets warm, it expands a bit. Over hundreds of power cycles,
> power connectors can gradually work themselves out of the socket.
> The latch on the 2x2 and main power connectors, is intended to snap
> together, to keep the contacts fully engaged, and prevent walkout.
> Once the connector walks out, the badly made connection arcs and
> heats up, damaging the pins.
>
> It could also be a problem with the Vcore circuit itself, or even
> a partial short on the CPU side of the circuit. That could cause
> an abnormal level of current flow on the 12V.
>
> Even extreme overclocking, could burn the pins. An example would be
> a D 805 overclocked to 4GHz, which draws well over 200 watts.
>
> Paul

Thank you gentlemen. I am dealing with the issue on someone else's
computer remotely, so I haven't seen what it actually looks like. I
suspected a poor connection or motherboard short but wanted to confirm
my suspicions before I say anything to him. His initial complaint was
that the computer was shutting down unexpectedly and randomly. He is
convinced he needs a new power supply. The poor connection certainly
explains his symptom, but the melting connectors is definitely not a
good sign.
From: Metspitzer on
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 13:44:49 -0400, TVeblen <Killtherobots(a)hal.net>
wrote:

>What could cause the 4-pin processor power connector on a motherboard to
>melt and deform?

Heat