From: Alon on
Hi!

According to the MSDN the routine "MmMapViewInSystemSpace" as well as many
other Memory Manager Routines, is reserved for system use and should not be
used in a driver.
Despite this information, I want to know if there is a limitation of section
view size I can try and map with this fucntion. I made some tests on a
standard machine (256MB memory PIII), and found out that the maximum size is
16MB, not one byte more...
Is it hard coded or related to my physical memory amount?
Is there other API that can be used instead this "private" fucntion?

Thanks

Alon

From: Eliyas Yakub [MSFT] on
Posting response from Memory manager:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
Management\SystemViewSize = DWORD n, where n is the number of megabytes
dedicated to this view space. By default this is 16mb, but he can make it
larger if he likes.

In Longhorn, the key does not exist since the entire kernel VA space is
dynamic (ie, his views could potentially consume nearly the entire 2gb
kernel VA space, etc).

-Eliyas
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/default.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/kernel/KB-drv.mspx

From: Alon on
Hi again!

Thanks a lot for the answer.
I'm using this function to map two sections, one of them is approx 4.90 MB
and when I try to re-map the second one to the size of 4,129,280 for example
I fail again & again...after I fail I try to allocate Paged memory with the
same size, and NonPaged memory with the same size and I Success!
I looked on the specific machine in the value in the registry and it says
48.

My questions:
1. Is there any substitute to this function (MmMapViewInSystemSpace)?
2. Is there a way I can check how much available "SystemView" memory I have?
3. Any other idea implementing memory mapped file?

Thanks

Alon

"Eliyas Yakub [MSFT]" < wrote in message
> Posting response from Memory manager:
>
> HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
> Management\SystemViewSize = DWORD n, where n is the number of megabytes
> dedicated to this view space. By default this is 16mb, but he can make it
> larger if he likes.
>
> In Longhorn, the key does not exist since the entire kernel VA space is
> dynamic (ie, his views could potentially consume nearly the entire 2gb
> kernel VA space, etc).

> -Eliyas
rights.
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/default.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/kernel/KB-drv.mspx

Hi!

According to the MSDN the routine "MmMapViewInSystemSpace" as well as many
other Memory Manager Routines, is reserved for system use and should not be
used in a driver.
Despite this information, I want to know if there is a limitation of section
view size I can try and map with this function. I made some tests on a
standard machine (256MB memory PIII), and found out that the maximum size is
16MB, not one byte more...
Is it hard coded or related to my physical memory amount?
Is there other API that can be used instead this "private" function?

Thanks

Alon