From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Markus Moeller" <huaraz(a)moeller.plus.com> wrote in message
> But the result is the same. If I add all memory used by the processes it
> is less than the total used. I get 1688344 Kbytes from the taskmanager
> and committed are 2683666 Kbytes. Where does the rest (> 1GB) go ?
>
> Markus

If you have a memory leak then one the programs in list will consume
increasing amounts of memory. Take a snapshot in Task Manager twice a day,
then compare the figures. If they remain much the same then you do not have
a memory leak.

From: John John - MVP on
Markus Moeller wrote:

> Maybe it is my wording or misunderstanding. When I open the task
> manager I see Total and Available memory

This is the 'physical memory' (RAM) usage.

> and the difference is Committed
> memory

This is 'virtual memory' (not RAM) usage but the figures can be
completely misleading because all virtual memory allocation, whether
used or not, 'maps' through the page file, this is sort of a trick that
Windows uses to give the illusion of nearly unlimited available memory
to applications. This (Commit Charge) is pagefile 'backed' memory but
as long as there is available physical memory (RAM) the pagefile is not
necessarily used for anything other than virtual memory mapping.

Only if the pagefile itself (not the commit charge) is actually growing
can you suspect a memory leak by an application, this is called a "Paged
Pool" leak, usually one will notice the increased pagefile usage with an
increasing sluggishness of the machine. As the application 'leaks' or
consumes more memory Windows pages out RAM pages to the Pagefile, hence
the name, a "Paged Pool" leak, the memory leaks to the pagefile. You
can monitor the pagefile with the corresponding Perfmon counter or you
can use Doug Knox's PageFileMon utility:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm

By contrast "Non Paged Pool" leaks occur in areas of memory which cannot
be paged out so these leaks consume an increasing amount of RAM without
any increase in the size of the pagefile. These leaks are quite
serious, most often they are caused by buggy drivers and they eventually
cripple the machine and cause it to hang completely, fortunately these
leaks are rather rare.

> and always < Total Memory or ? But when I add up the Memory
> Usage( = Working set ?) of all processes in the tasklist I get after a
> week or so 1GB less then the committed memory and have to reboot.

Why do you have to reboot? Does the machine become sluggish or
unresponsive? Or are you rebooting just for the sake of seeing the
Commit Charge come down?

> When I
> boot up the memory usage sum and committed memory is about the same.

You have to understand the concept of Virtual Memory and how it differs
from actual physical memory to get a grasp on these Task Manager figures.

John

From: Markus Moeller on
Hi John,

Thank you for the good explanation, which I have to digest now ;-) I have
to reboot the machine as I get errors of no resource available and scheduled
jobs don't run anymore ( I have to delete the keys in
...\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18\* as they got corrupted), application have issues and
it coincides that my available physical memory goes to zero.

From: John John - MVP on
It might help if you post the error message verbatim. Also look in the
Event Viewer log for clues.

John

From: Shenan Stanley on
Markus Moeller wrote:
<snip>
> I have to delete the keys in ..\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18\* as
> they got corrupted
<snip>

Scheduled Tasks? What scheduled tasks do you have running?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP