From: Markus Moeller on
Hi

How can I found out the memory usage on XP ? My XP box uses over a week all
memory and then has no resources available. It has 4GB memory (3.5 GB free)

I used typeperf with the following:

\Memory\Available Bytes
\Memory\Committed Bytes
\Memory\Pool Paged Bytes
\Memory\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
\Memory\Cache Bytes
\Memory\Cache Bytes Peak
\Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes Peak
\Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes
\Process(_total)\Working Set Peak
\Process(_total)\Working Set
\Process(_total)\Page File Bytes Peak
\Process(_total)\Page File Bytes
\Process(_total)\Private Bytes
\Process(_total)\Pool Paged Bytes
\Process(_total)\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
\Process(_total)\Working Set - Private
\Process(_total)\Page Faults/sec
\Process(_total)\Handle Count

But when I add up Pool Paged Bytes, Pool Nonpaged Bytes,
\Process(_total)\Working Set I do net reach the Committed bytes value by 1
GB or more when the machine has to be rebooted.

What is the best way to find out which process is using it ?

Thank you
Markus

From: Pegasus [MVP] on
"Markus Moeller" <huaraz(a)moeller.plus.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> How can I found out the memory usage on XP ? My XP box uses over a week
> all memory and then has no resources available. It has 4GB memory (3.5 GB
> free)
>
> I used typeperf with the following:
>
> \Memory\Available Bytes
> \Memory\Committed Bytes
> \Memory\Pool Paged Bytes
> \Memory\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
> \Memory\Cache Bytes
> \Memory\Cache Bytes Peak
> \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes Peak
> \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes
> \Process(_total)\Working Set Peak
> \Process(_total)\Working Set
> \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes Peak
> \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes
> \Process(_total)\Private Bytes
> \Process(_total)\Pool Paged Bytes
> \Process(_total)\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
> \Process(_total)\Working Set - Private
> \Process(_total)\Page Faults/sec
> \Process(_total)\Handle Count
>
> But when I add up Pool Paged Bytes, Pool Nonpaged Bytes,
> \Process(_total)\Working Set I do net reach the Committed bytes value by 1
> GB or more when the machine has to be rebooted.
>
> What is the best way to find out which process is using it ?
>
> Thank you
> Markus

The Task Manager will tell you. Just click the Processes tab, then click on
the Memory column header so that the entries are sorted by memory usage. You
also need to click the box "Show processes for all users" at the bottom.

From: Markus Moeller on
But the result is the same. If I add all memory used by the processes it is
less than the total used. I get 1688344 Kbytes from the taskmanager and
committed are 2683666 Kbytes. Where does the rest (> 1GB) go ?

Markus

From: John John - MVP on
I have a feeling that we may be chasing a non existent problem... The
Task Manager's Commit counters are Virtual Memory counters and they can
be quite misleading.

John

From: Markus Moeller on

Maybe it is my wording or misunderstanding. When I open the task manager I
see Total and Available memory and the difference is Committed memory and
always < Total Memory or ? But when I add up the Memory Usage( = Working
set ?) of all processes in the tasklist I get after a week or so 1GB less
then the committed memory and have to reboot. When I boot up the memory
usage sum and committed memory is about the same.

Markus