From: Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr. on
On Oct 18, 6:06 pm, BURT <macromi...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 5:47 pm, Mensanator <mensana...(a)aol.com> wrote:

> > > How can they have anything less than AI?
>
> > They manage. At their parties, members often give
> > lectures as part of the entertainment. While perusing
> > the subject list at one such party, my sister and I
> > (who are not members, but were attending as guests of
> > someone who was), saw one of the lectures was about
> > "Time Travel", so we went to that thinking it should be
> > good.
>
> > I kid you not, the "lecture" consisted of a single
> > sentence! The woman giving held up a copy of Omni
> > magazine and declared that anyone who wants to learn
> > about time travel should read Omni magazine since they
> > often ran articles on it. When the audience started
> > grumbling, she simply repeated it. It went downhill
> > from there.
>
> > After a performance like that they should have renamed
> > themseles Retards Unlimited.- Hide quoted text -

> There is only one time travel. It is into the future. If you could
> cause your clock to go slower than the others around you you could go
> into their future faster. Time slowing can catapult you into the
> future of the rest of the universe. This is the only time travel and
> it isn't even doable really. But theoretically it exists in strong
> enough gravity and fast enough motion flow.

Well, is traveling at near-light-speed going to help you age slower?
Let's take the famous example in which you take-off at near-light-
speed, while your twin remains stationary. Some say that you will age
more slowly.

But look at it the other way: in the reference frame of you, you are
the one who is stationary, while your twin is traveling at near-light-
speed in the opposite direction. So, he will be aging slower than you,
right? :-)

You know what the solution is? You should accelerate and descelerate a
lot. That's what keeps you young:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox

So, next time you are driving your car on the freeway - constantly
break, then speed up, then come to a full stop, then speed up again,
then put your car in reverse and speed backwards, and so on. You'll be
surprised how much older your twin brother will be when you finally
get home (from jail).
From: turtoni on
I'm not sure that having a great memory should mean that you're a
great thinker. So much of what we seem to think is great seems to boil
down to memory. For example, just sit any exam. It's all about what
you remember. In most cases you don't even have to understand things
as long as you remember the right patterns, etc.
From: Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr. on
On Dec 3, 11:02 pm, turtoni <turt...(a)fastmail.net> wrote:
> I'm not sure that having a great memory should mean that you're a
> great thinker. So much of what we seem to think is great seems to boil
> down to memory. For example, just sit any exam. It's all about what
> you remember. In most cases you don't even have to understand things
> as long as you remember the right patterns, etc.

I am neither an expert on nor a fan of Mensa. However, my impression
is that Mensa tests are not intended to test your knowledge of trivia,
but instead your thinking abilities.

I would be surprised if Mensa tests asked trivia questions. In fact,
unless you have a supremely perfect memory, your knowing a lot about
comic strips is probably negatively correlated with your Mensa scores;
because on average, people, who read comic strips, are not among the
brightest bulbs in the garland.
From: turtoni on
Could the rec.org.mensa users stop crossposting this off-topic subject
to alt.philosophy.

Somebody reported me for being off-topic when it's actually people
from rec.org.mensa that are being off-topic when this was first placed
in alt.philosophy.

When i get the actual details of the report and it's accusations
against me i will work towards finding really who is at fault in these
situations. Because i certainly do not fell these "mensa" spats have
any thing to do with me or alt.philosophy.
From: Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr. on
On Dec 4, 10:23 pm, turtoni <turt...(a)fastmail.net> wrote:
> Could the rec.org.mensa users stop crossposting this off-topic subject
> to alt.philosophy.
>
> Somebody reported me for being off-topic when it's actually people
> from rec.org.mensa that are being off-topic when this was first placed
> in alt.philosophy.
>
> When i get the actual details of the report and it's accusations
> against me i will work towards finding really who is at fault in these
> situations.

That will be a highly productive and useful activity. After you are
done, don't forget to report your findings to the "owner of the
Usenet" so that he/she will ban the culprits from reading and posting
to the Usenet. :-)