From: zuhair on
Working in NBG\MK minus choice

Can there exist a proper class x that is not supernumerous to the
class of all ordinals that are sets?

x supernumerous to y <-> Exist f (f:y-->x, f is injective)

I always had the idea that the class of all ordinals that are sets, is
the smallest proper class, i.e. there do not exist a proper class that
is strictly subnumerous to it, but can there exist a proper class that
is incomparable to it, i.e. there do not exist any injection between
it and that proper class.

If so can one give an example of such a proper class?

Zuhair

From: Herman Rubin on
In article <b1d5c9ac-d3ca-42a2-9d9c-e2decdf0c3b2(a)m35g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>,
zuhair <zaljohar(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>Working in NBG\MK minus choice

> Can there exist a proper class x that is not supernumerous to the
>class of all ordinals that are sets?

>x supernumerous to y <-> Exist f (f:y-->x, f is injective)

There are certainly Fraenkel-Mostowski models in which this
is false, and I believe Cohen models as well.
Fraenkel-Mostowski models are not models of ZF, but of ZFU;
the models needed are models of NBG, but Fraenkel-Mostowski
models can be extended.

>I always had the idea that the class of all ordinals that are sets, is
>the smallest proper class, i.e. there do not exist a proper class that
>is strictly subnumerous to it, but can there exist a proper class that
>is incomparable to it, i.e. there do not exist any injection between
>it and that proper class.

>If so can one give an example of such a proper class?

Not necessarily. The strongest class form of the Axiom of
Choice has all proper classes equinumerous to the class of
all ordinal numbers. See the book _Equivalents of the
Axiom of Choice II_ by Herman Rubin and Jean E. Rubin. The
construction in Godel's book, _Consistencey of the
Continuum Hypothesis_, constructs and inner model of NBG in
which it is true that the class of ordinal numbers is
equinumerous with the universe.

hrubin(a)stat.purdue.edu Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558
From: zuhair on
On Dec 2, 1:35 pm, hru...(a)odds.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) wrote:
> In article <b1d5c9ac-d3ca-42a2-9d9c-e2decdf0c...(a)m35g2000vbi.googlegroups..com>,
>
> zuhair  <zaljo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >Working in NBG\MK minus choice
> > Can there exist a proper class x that is not supernumerous to the
> >class of all ordinals that are sets?
> >x supernumerous to y <-> Exist f (f:y-->x, f is injective)
>
> There are certainly Fraenkel-Mostowski models in which this
> is false, and I believe Cohen models as well.
> Fraenkel-Mostowski models are not models of ZF, but of ZFU;
> the models needed are models of NBG, but Fraenkel-Mostowski
> models can be extended.

If I didn't misunderstand you, what you are saying is the following:

There cannot exist a proper class x that is not supernumerous to the
class of all ordinals, in other words what you are saying is: the
Frankel-Mostowski models prove that every proper class is
supernumerous to the class of all ordinals that are sets, i.e for any
class x to be a proper class then there must exist an injection from
the class of all ordinals that are sets to the class x.

Is that what you are saying?

> >I always had the idea that the class of all ordinals that are sets, is
> >the smallest proper class, i.e. there do not exist a proper class that
> >is strictly subnumerous to it, but can there exist a proper class that
> >is incomparable to it, i.e. there do not exist any injection between
> >it and that proper class.
> >If so can one give an example of such a proper class?
>
> Not necessarily.  The strongest class form of the Axiom of
> Choice has all proper classes equinumerous to the class of
> all ordinal numbers.  See the book _Equivalents of the
> Axiom of Choice II_ by Herman Rubin and Jean E. Rubin.  The
> construction in Godel's book, _Consistencey of the
> Continuum Hypothesis_, constructs and inner model of NBG in
> which it is true that the class of ordinal numbers is
> equinumerous with the universe.

This is a little bit vague, what was you referring to when you said
"Not necessarily"?Did you mean that we can have a proper class that is
strictly subnumerous to the class of all ordinals that are sets? or
can there exist a proper class that is
not comparable to the class of all ordinals that are sets? these
points are not clear from your answer.

Thanks for the references.

Zuhair

From: zuhair on
On Dec 2, 1:35 pm, hru...(a)odds.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) wrote:
> In article <b1d5c9ac-d3ca-42a2-9d9c-e2decdf0c...(a)m35g2000vbi.googlegroups..com>,
>
> zuhair  <zaljo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >Working in NBG\MK minus choice
> > Can there exist a proper class x that is not supernumerous to the
> >class of all ordinals that are sets?
> >x supernumerous to y <-> Exist f (f:y-->x, f is injective)
>
> There are certainly Fraenkel-Mostowski models in which this
> is false, and I believe Cohen models as well.
> Fraenkel-Mostowski models are not models of ZF, but of ZFU;
> the models needed are models of NBG, but Fraenkel-Mostowski
> models can be extended.
>
> >I always had the idea that the class of all ordinals that are sets, is
> >the smallest proper class, i.e. there do not exist a proper class that
> >is strictly subnumerous to it, but can there exist a proper class that
> >is incomparable to it, i.e. there do not exist any injection between
> >it and that proper class.
> >If so can one give an example of such a proper class?
>
> Not necessarily.  The strongest class form of the Axiom of
> Choice has all proper classes equinumerous to the class of
> all ordinal numbers.  See the book _Equivalents of the
> Axiom of Choice II_ by Herman Rubin and Jean E. Rubin.  The
> construction in Godel's book, _Consistencey of the
> Continuum Hypothesis_, constructs and inner model of NBG in
> which it is true that the class of ordinal numbers is
> equinumerous with the universe.
>
> --
> This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
> are those of the Statistics Department or of Purdue University.
> Herman Rubin, Department of Statistics, Purdue University
> hru...(a)stat.purdue.edu         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558

It seems that I was not clear in asking my question.

Let me re ask my question using more precise terminology:

Is the following a theorem schema of ZF(without choice)?

If phi(y) is a formula in which at least y is free, and in which x is
not free, then all closures of

~ for all d ( d is ordinal -> Exist x ( for all y (y e x -> phi(y))
and
d equinumerous to
x ) )

-> Exist x for all y ( y e x <-> phi(y) )

are theorems.

I think the idea behind the question is very clear, if we cannot put
all ordinals that are sets into one-one relation with sets fulfilling
the predicate phi (this is equivalent to saying that we cannot have an
injection from the class of all ordinals that are sets to the class of
all sets fulfilling the predicate phi), then the predicate phi defines
a set, i.e. the class of exactly all sets for which the predicate phi
holds is a set.

Now is that true in ZF(without choice) ?
is that true in ZF without choice and without regularity?

I hope my question is clear this time?

Zuhair

From: zuhair on