From: AJ on
We have two domains DomainA.com 1000 plus users DomainB.com 200 plus users.

Both domains are windows 2000 with exchange 2k3.

In order to move accounts from domainb.com to domainA.com the easiest way
would be to create a trust between the two domains and then just copy/move
accounts from domainB to domainA, right?

Lets say one domain is windows 2003 and the other is windows 2000. If we
upgrade the 2000 domain to 2003 would we be able to rename the upgraded
domain to child.domaina.com in order to transfer accounts?
From: Paul Bergson on
The two domains are two seperate forests with the distinct possiblity of
different schemas, so no you wouldn't be able to make one of the domains a
child of the other domain. You could use Active Directory Migration Toolkit
(ADMT) to migrate the users from one domain to another. Also you can only
have one Exchange site per forest.

http://www.pbbergs.com/

From: Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP] on
Assuming both domains are in separate forests...

Create a trust between the two domains and use ADMTv3 to migrate the stuff
over from one domain to the other.
At this moment it is not possible to integrate/merge two separate forests.

Trying to understand why you would want to rename one of the domains just to
be able to migrate. There is no need for that....

Concerning the rename stuff..
Just because you have w2k3 does not mean you are able to rename

You need to be at FFL w2k3, exchange 2003 should have at least SP1, AND you
should test if other apps "accept/support" the rename action

--

Cheers,
(HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)

# Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Windows Server - Directory Services

BLOG --> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights!
* Always test before implementing!

From: AJ on
Thanks.

I figured the renaming domain idea wouldn't work but I wanted to through it
out there to see.

Another question I had. When the trust is created are administrative right
granted to the domain admins for both domains? I was under the impression
that once the trust is created you need to assign rights to groups or users
that need access to either domain.

From: Herb Martin on
> Thanks.
>
> I figured the renaming domain idea wouldn't work but I wanted to through
> it
> out there to see.
>
> Another question I had. When the trust is created are administrative
> right
> granted to the domain admins for both domains?

No. Trusts 'grant' no privileges, but make such granting
POSSIBLE.

A domain that trusts another domain can see (some) groups
and users from the trusted domain.

> I was under the impression
> that once the trust is created you need to assign rights to groups or
> users
> that need access to either domain.

Correct.

(And we are ignoring any existing references to Everyone, or
Authenticated Users since those will include trusted domain
users if they already are used to grant permissions or rights.)

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE