From: EMI Computer on
I am trying to upgrade my w2K DC to w2k3. adprep /forestprep ran fine,
but adprep /domainprep fails. The DC is the schema, operations and
infrastructure master.

See exerpt from log file:

Adprep was unable to modify the security descriptor on object
CN=User,CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=CCI,DC=local.

[Status/Consequence]

ADPREP was unable to merge the existing security descriptor with the
new access control entry (ACE).

[User Action]

Check the log file Adprep.log in the system root
System32\Debug\Adprep\Logs directory for more information.

Adprep encountered an LDAP error.

Error code: 0x0. Server extended error code: 0x0, Server error message:
(null).

Adprep was unable to update domain-wide information.

[Status/Consequence]

Adprep requires access to existing domain-wide information from the
infrastructure master in order to complete this operation.

[User Action]

Check the log file, Adprep.log, in the
C:\WINNT\system32\debug\adprep\logs\20060314104017 directory for more
information.

From: Jmnts on
Hello

Some times after you run the forestprep you need to wait until the
replication occurs to all domain controllers.

Are you running the domainprep on infrastructure master?

for adprep check:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/bc5ebbdb-a8d7-4761-b38a-e207baa734191033.mspx

Regards

Systems Administrator