From: Moreski on
Hi,
Please have patients with me as I'm new to SharePoint and the solution to my
question may be simple (I have tried to find reading material but WSS 3
documentation is currently being written).

I am running two SharePoint services sites with a collection of sub-sites
on the same sql 2005 back end. I now wish to merge the two sites in to one.
The problem I am having is that the backup and restore facility that I have
been using (stsadm.exe) seems to be comfortable with backing up and restoring
the whole sites at a time but not with restoring one sub-site to another.

Is there a tried and tested method that you can suggest to help me with my
plight?
I have a playground environment to play with so I can try a number of
suggestions.
Hope you can help.

--
Moreski
In the Kingdom of the Blind...
From: C Kelley on
try out stsadm export / import

From: Moreski on
Thanks for that...
It seems to hae taken me 50% of the way:
I seem to have a few errors with the import
[[
[12/14/2006 3:54:59 PM]: Progress: De-Serializing Objects to Database.
[12/14/2006 3:55:00 PM]: Error: The file cannot be imported because its
parent web /web does not exist.
[12/14/2006 3:55:00 PM]: FatalError: The file cannot be imported because
its parent web /web does not exist.
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.FolderSerializer.GetParentWeb(SerializationInfoHelper infoHelper, ImportObjectManager objectManager)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.FolderSerializer.SetObjectData(Object
obj, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context, ISurrogateSelector
selector)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.XmlFormatter.ParseObject(Type
objectType, Boolean isChildObject)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.XmlFormatter.DeserializeObject(Type
objectType, Boolean isChildObject, DeploymentObject envelope)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.XmlFormatter.Deserialize(Stream
serializationStream)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ObjectSerializer.Deserialize(Stream
serializationStream)
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ImportObjectManager.ProcessObject(XmlReader
xmlReader)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.SPImport.DeserializeObjects()
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.SPImport.Run()
[12/14/2006 3:55:00 PM]: Progress: Import Completed.
[12/14/2006 3:55:00 PM]: Finish Time: 12/14/2006 3:55:00 PM.
[12/14/2006 3:55:00 PM]: Completed with 0 warnings.
[12/14/2006 3:55:00 PM]: Completed with 2 errors.
]]
and the import seems to fail with the following:
"The file cannot be imported because its parent web /web does not exist."

What i'm trying to do:
WSS Site #1 looks as follows:
/sitename/it
/sitename/sales
/sitename/senior

WSS Site #2 looks as follows:
/sitename/ops/
/sitename/ops/it
/sitename/ops/data
/sitename/ops/web

I'm trying to get to the following:
/sitename/it/
/sitename/it/ops/
/sitename/it/ops/it
/sitename/it/ops/data
/sitename/it/ops/web
/sitename/sales
/sitename/senior

Using stsadm export / import i have manged:
/sitename/it/
/sitename/it/ops/ [[horay]]
/sitename/sales
/sitename/senior

Any further help would be greatefuly gobbled up.

--
Moreski

From: C Kelley on
not sure but I think you have to make blank sites on your new server however
you want then you can import the data over... also you prob saw this but
there is a swich you can use that will keep ann the accounts and pemitions
settings set.

From: Moreski on
Just to put some closure on this post...
The error "The file cannot be imported because its parent web /web does not
exist.
" was due to the parent being in the same namespace of the overall site. To
get arround this I used the define path option within the application
mangement section... Presto all cool and the gang!!

Thanks once again