From: Andrew on
I just ran into a strange issue with Outlook's Message Recall system. It
would appear that message recall is controlled by Outlook not Exchange. I
had a situation where an executive replied to all on a message and needed to
recall that message. It seems that it recalled the message for some Exchange
users but not all. And, the ones it didn't recall, they were still able to
read the message as long as they opened it first before they open the recall
message which caused the recall to fail and the users were able to see the
message.

Is there anyway to set up message recall throughout the enterprise so that
it work regardless of user interaction or their online/offline status? It
seems this is a pretty critical feature especially in an enterprise
environment so there should be some way to enforce it to process w/o user
interaction.

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Andrew" <andrew.zuza(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>I just ran into a strange issue with Outlook's Message Recall system. It
>would appear that message recall is controlled by Outlook not Exchange. I had
>a situation where an executive replied to all on a message and needed to
>recall that message. It seems that it recalled the message for some Exchange
>users but not all. And, the ones it didn't recall, they were still able to
>read the message as long as they opened it first before they open the recall
>message which caused the recall to fail and the users were able to see the
>message.

This is how recall works. The recipient must process the recall message
before the recalled message in order for Outlook to know the message is to be
removed.

> Is there anyway to set up message recall throughout the enterprise so that
> it work regardless of user interaction or their online/offline status? It
> seems this is a pretty critical feature especially in an enterprise
> environment so there should be some way to enforce it to process w/o user
> interaction.

I don't think there's anything you'll be able to do about it. Most of us
don't bother with recall since the conditions under which it works are so
narrow. I would agree that the server should process it.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Pages: 1
Prev: Outlook 2007