From: Steve on
We set our message limits using the following values

sending message size: 10 MB
receiving message size: No limit

The sending message size is working correctly. The receiving message size is
being limited to 10 MB which is the same as sending message size. I changed
the sending message size to 15 MB, the sending receiving size increased to
15 MB although it is still defined as "No limit". Any ideas? Thanks.

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:01:37 -0500, "Steve" <steve(a)nothing.ork> wrote:

>We set our message limits using the following values
>
>sending message size: 10 MB
>receiving message size: No limit
>
>The sending message size is working correctly. The receiving message size is
>being limited to 10 MB which is the same as sending message size. I changed
>the sending message size to 15 MB, the sending receiving size increased to
>15 MB although it is still defined as "No limit". Any ideas? Thanks.

Do you have any explicit limits set on the SMTP Virtual Server?

If you "telnet <your-server> 25" and then enter "EHLO<Enter>" do you
see a "SIZE" keyword and value?

Does setting an explicit limin for the "receiving message size" change
anything? That "No Limit" may not be the best thing to use. If you
expect really big messages, try setting it to what's acceptable
(100MB, 500MB, 1000MB) and see what changes.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: John Oliver, Jr. [MVP] on
You can set message size for Mailbox limits and Global limits. Global
limits take precedence first.

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Set-Size-Limits-Messages.html

--
John Oliver, Jr
MCSE, MCT, CCNA

From: Steve on
Telnet SIZE shows no limit. SMTP limits are set to "no limit."

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:39:01 -0500, "Steve" <steve(a)nothing.ork> wrote:

>Telnet SIZE shows no limit. SMTP limits are set to "no limit."

Good. Does that mean that the "oversized" messages, if they're being
sent by a MTA using EMTP, are accepted and then later NDRed? Or are
the messages sent by a MTA that just uses SMTP (i.e. it doesn't start
the session with EHLO)?

Have you run the Exchange Best Practices Analyzer? Does it warn about
problematic mismatches in message size settings? Do you have any value
in the "Limit message size to (KB)" edit box on the "Messages" tab of
any SMTP Virtual Server?
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP