From: Tristan Mumford on
Hello!

Yes. More on MicroUSB.
I've more or less finished the port of the HID base driver and HID mouse
to C now.
But
(and thats a BIG BUT) I'm still having the problem of obtaining an edge
connector. My best option is to destroy one of my Activision... no HES 4
in 1 carts and I'm not willing to do that.

At any rate because of my silly problem I took an alternate route. I
decided to use a uC for now to handle the low level stuff. This leaves me
free to conenct it to other things.
As it is my options seem to be either User port, or Tape port.
In the case of the user port I have no idea how to establish an effective
communication method. Parallel would be nice, but how would I do it?
The biggest stumbling point is data direction. I'd need to be able to
synchronise the direction between the userport and the uC somehow. Any
ideas?

I'm knocking together the first hardware prototype tonight hopefully.
Should be fun.

So anyway, what would be the best thing to do?

As a side note. Does anyone have any cartridges they'd be willing to
donate? Like one with a dead ROM, or any international soccer cartridges
not being used to throw at stray cats? I just need one for the edge
connector.
Sorry for the 'gimme' but I'm really stuck on this.

When the source is tested and considered working I'll put it on my site.
It's not going up until then because I don't want to give anyone a bit of
dud code.

--
-----> http://members.dodo.com.au/~izabellion1/tristan/index.html <-----
===== It's not pretty, it's not great, but it is mine. =====
From: Wolfgang Moser on
Hey Tristan, I'll answer to a specific aspect of your post only.

you wrote:
> (and thats a BIG BUT) I'm still having the problem of obtaining an edge
> connector. My best option is to destroy one of my Activision... no HES 4
> [...]

You are not talking from a connector similar to the one built
into teh C64 for maybe constructing ar through-put port, are you?

> As a side note. Does anyone have any cartridges they'd be willing to
> donate? Like one with a dead ROM, or any international soccer cartridges
> not being used to throw at stray cats? I just need one for the edge
> connector.
> [...]

So I believe your're searching for a PCB with the contacts etched
right in the right dimensions to work as Expansion port connector.

Nothing more simple than that. Take an old ISA bus card. Take one
that carries all the contacts you need for your construction.
Saw away the contacts and the rest of the ISA bus card that you
don't need and then glue the connection stub onto a raster PCB.
That's the way I "construct" gold plated Expansion bus cards,
when I'm in the need of one and don't want to destroy a working
game module (again).

Womo
From: Ville Muikkula on

http://www.8bitbaby.de/
From: Tristan Mumford on
On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 05:43:34 +0100, Wolfgang Moser wrote:

> Hey Tristan, I'll answer to a specific aspect of your post only.
>
> you wrote:
>> (and thats a BIG BUT) I'm still having the problem of obtaining an edge
>> connector. My best option is to destroy one of my Activision... no HES 4
>> [...]
>
> You are not talking from a connector similar to the one built
> into teh C64 for maybe constructing ar through-put port, are you?

I can handle a female connector. Its easy enough to fabricate the correct
length one from ISA card slot connectors.
Its the male that's causing me grief. Even a simple etching kit is out of
my reach these days. Just about everything I have is from things I have
salvaged.

Thanks for the throughport idea though. I like it.

>> As a side note. Does anyone have any cartridges
they'd be willing to
>> donate? Like one with a dead ROM, or any international soccer
>> cartridges not being used to throw at stray cats? I just need one for
>> the edge connector.
>> [...]
>

> So I believe your're searching for a PCB with the contacts etched right
> in the right dimensions to work as Expansion port connector.
>
> Nothing more simple than that. Take an old ISA bus card. Take one that
> carries all the contacts you need for your construction. Saw away the
> contacts and the rest of the ISA bus card that you don't need and then
> glue the connection stub onto a raster PCB. That's the way I "construct"
> gold plated Expansion bus cards, when I'm in the need of one and don't
> want to destroy a working game module (again).

This has been problematic. The only ISA cards that I can sacrifice are
various NICs. Unfortunately they have only plated the fingers they need.
This renders them unusable.
I'm probably one of the few people that still uses ISA cards.

I tried to get the components to make a 3.3v rail today. The parts were
unavailable. The simplest things keep stopping me.

Thanks for your help though. Much appreciated.

From: Tristan Mumford on
On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 05:11:59 +0000, Ville Muikkula wrote:

> Tristan Mumford <nintendologist(a)nospam.gmail.nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm still having the problem of obtaining an edge connector.
>
> http://www.8bitbaby.de/

That has been my ultimate goal. One day I hope to be able to get one. So
far I've been trying for about a year. Its one of those things where the
priority is low enough that the money always gets allocated elsewhere.