From: scoutski on
The Chinon Model FB354 or Panasonic JU257 are just 2 FD drives that are
recommended for the 1581 kit.
Did any of you did some tests (with positive results) with other
models/brands?

Also, I found a some Panasonic JU256 drives here in the cellar. I
wonder what the big difference is with the JU257.
If they are compatible it would make me a real happy.

R.
(who just ordered 3 1581 kits)

From: Wolfgang Moser on
Hello R., you wrote:
> The Chinon Model FB354 or Panasonic JU257 are just 2 FD drives that are
> recommended for the 1581 kit.
> Did any of you did some tests (with positive results) with other
> models/brands?

isn't it that the push button fits perfectly into the
1581 case that only these both types are recommended
for use? From an electrical point of view, if a drive
cannot be jumpered the right way, soldering some wires
directly to the drives' PCB may help to acquire Drive
Ready as well as Diskchange at the same time.

> Also, I found a some Panasonic JU256 drives here in the cellar. I
> wonder what the big difference is with the JU257.
> If they are compatible it would make me a real happy.

Please excuse me that I can't tell directly what to
do, to make them usable. Find some datasheets or other
informations regarding the pin usage and jumper
settings and compare that with the existing guides on
how to modify PC FDDs for 1581 or Amiga usage.

Womo
From: 65coupei6 on

scoutski wrote:
> The Chinon Model FB354 or Panasonic JU257 are just 2 FD drives that are
> recommended for the 1581 kit.
> Did any of you did some tests (with positive results) with other
> models/brands?
>
> Also, I found a some Panasonic JU256 drives here in the cellar. I
> wonder what the big difference is with the JU257.
> If they are compatible it would make me a real happy.
>
> R.
> (who just ordered 3 1581 kits)

Just as Womo said. Those are recommended because of the eject button.
That way you do not have to modify the 1581 case.

Other drives should work fine as long as you can set them to DSO.

The JU257 drives do require some modification. The Panasonic JU-257
should have more numbers after it. For example, JU-257AXXX . Different
models have different jumper settings. I think one model even needs
its resistors cut and a jumper wire soldered on.

Marco
http://www.c64reloaded.com

From: Raymond Day on
I did this mod to my 1581 a long time ago. About when the commodore Mag.
From CMD came out and told how to do it.

I just got a photo of it so people can see how it looks because of the eject
button.

It here:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/RaymondDay/RIMG0027.jpg

-Raymond Day