From: C C on
Hello.

Is there a way in MF Cobol to pause program execution (sleep) for, let's
say, 5 minutes??? My workaround is to call the AIX command "sleep 300". I
need a routine in Cobol itself so I may vary the time to pause in some
programs.

Thanks in advance.

From: Steve Rainbird on
"C C" <someone(a)atsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> Is there a way in MF Cobol to pause program execution (sleep) for, let's
> say, 5 minutes??? My workaround is to call the AIX command "sleep 300".
> I need a routine in Cobol itself so I may vary the time to pause in some
> programs.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Not that I know of.

I use

call "system" using ws-sleep-call

Where ws-sleep-call is defined as

01 ws-mss-sleep-call.
03 pic x(6) value "sleep ".
03 ws-mss-sleep pic 9(15).999.
03 pic x value x"00".

Works for me.

--
Steve

From: Thomas on
On 15 Mai, 14:20, "C C" <some...(a)atsbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Is there a way in MF Cobol to pause program execution (sleep) for, let's
> say, 5 minutes??? My workaround is to call the AIX command "sleep 300". I
> need a routine in Cobol itself so I may vary the time to pause in some
> programs.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I don't know a commando for sleep.

Either you write a loop with perform varying... or you use a loop with
checking out the time while it is looping.
But in both solutions the program/machine is (very) busy and not
sleeping!

Thomas

From: C C on
Thanks. That's what I'm doing right now. I just want to avoid having to
call "system". In AIX, a new-line is output by the system thus online
sessions experience a shift on their screen. This behavior still occurs
even if my call "system" script re-directs output to /dev/null.

From: Vaclav Snajdr on
it is possible to use "accept with timeout xyz" instead call system ...
(in background programs too)

--
Vaclav Snajdr