From: Kevin13 on
Hi.

As stated above I've got Microfocus Cobol Workbench version 4.0.07*
installed on a Windows XP box.

Cobol developers here use only the compiler and basic text based
animator, "animate.exe".

This version of animator is *extremely* buggy. Set a breakpoint,
press "Z" to zoom, crash. Query on an 88-level, crash. Not always,
just 50% of the time. Sigh, restart, navigate back to where you were,
try again, crash, repeat.

I'm trying to get the better GUI versions of animator to run, hoping
they'll work better. So far, tantalizingly close, but not quite.
Again, I'm charting new territory - no one else here seems even aware
of these. I used "anim2" at a prior company and it worked great!

So, I'm thinking (hoping) it's merely a MF required environment
variable that I've neglected to set or an animator directive or
switch? I'm working from memory mostly, available documentation on
the web (even Microfocus web site and knowledge base) is extremely
sparse and/or does not apply to this version.

If you are successfully running MF workbench 4 animtor on XP, could
you possibly post the pertinent environmental variables you have set
and/or animator directives you're using?

Current status:

COBAIF=.\
COBANIMOPT=mixedlangdebug
COBANIM_2=ANIMATE
COBDIR=C:\cobol\lbr;W:\test\gnt;c:\cobol\exedll;c\cobol\lib;
COBIDY=.\
COBLIB=C:\cobol\lbr;W:\test\gnt;c:\cobol\exedll;c\cobol\lib;
COBPATH=C:\cobol\lbr;W:\test\gnt;c:\cobol\exedll;c\cobol\lib;
cobsw=+S5+A
MFORG=\cobol\mforgw;
PATH=<all my usual + %cobpath%>

If I type:

anim2 Result: Animator Version 2, "Edit+Execute" window
(empty). Try File, "Open for Edit", "Open for Execution", "Insert" -
all cause program to peg CPU at 100% and hang.

anim2 tstanim2 /END Result: Get "Animator V2 COBOL Text
Window", flash of what *looks* like editor screen which disppears in
fraction of a second, then immediate "ANIM2 'Application Terminated'"
popup window.

anim2wg tstanim2 /END Result: Same

animatew seems to work, but crashes same as "animate".

wb Result: Runs, get workbench menu. But, how do you load a
program into it??? Can't seem to figure out any obvious way.

wb tstanim2.cbl Resut: error code 198 - Load failure.
(It's a text file!)

wbw tstanim2.cbl Result: same thing

wbwg tstanim2.cbl Result: Popup window: "Unable to import
tstanim2.cbl"

wbwg Result: Get "Micro Focus Workbench" with a bunch of
icons in it (~23). Double-click "Edit+Animate" icon, get input window
for Filename and Options, enter name of file, click OK, get
"MFORGTRW.EXE - COBOL Text Windows:PID = 00000AB0h" windows, then in
front of that, a popup window "MFORGTRW" 'Application Terminated".

wb2wg Result: Same.

Alternatively, anyone know where I can still get a patch update for
version 4.0.07 to 4.0.xx where "xx" = next STABLE version?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

*Version is what displays when you compile:

"Micro Focus Object COBOL (32-bit)
Version 4.0.07 Copyright (C) 1984-1995 Micro Focus Ltd."

From: Richard on
On Nov 12, 11:19 am, Kevin13 <se5u0o...(a)sneakemail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> (It's a text file!)
>
> wbw tstanim2.cbl         Result:  same thing
>
> wbwg tstanim2.cbl          Result:  Popup window: "Unable to import
> tstanim2.cbl"
>
> wbwg            Result:  Get "Micro Focus Workbench" with a bunch of
> icons in it (~23).  Double-click "Edit+Animate" icon, get input window
> for Filename and Options, enter name of file, click OK, get
> "MFORGTRW.EXE - COBOL Text Windows:PID = 00000AB0h" windows, then in
> front of that, a popup window "MFORGTRW" 'Application Terminated".
>
> wb2wg          Result:  Same.
>
> Alternatively, anyone know where I can still get a patch update for
> version 4.0.07 to 4.0.xx where "xx" = next STABLE version?
>
> Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

> *Version is what displays when you compile:
>
> "Micro Focus Object COBOL (32-bit)
> Version 4.0.07 Copyright (C) 1984-1995 Micro Focus Ltd."

Version 4 was for Windows 95 (note copyright date) or even win32s on
Windows 3.11.

It probably runs perfectly well on 95/98, but XP is not that. There
may be ways of setting 'compatability' options or run Win98 in a VM
(eg VirtualBox).