From: Alistair on
On Apr 23, 7:15 pm, Russ Finley <netsoftdu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2:10 pm, Russ Finley <netsoftdu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have a copy of the free download Microfocus Express.net
> > Compilier?  I attempted to download this free compilier a couple of
> > times now, and it looks as if they have removed the download page.
>
> > Please let me know, if you have a copy.
>
> > Thanks Russ
>
> Actually, does anyone have an feedback, good or bad on Microfocus
> Express.net Compilier?

Er yes - love it but I am hoping that they can add a CICS look-a-like
to the freebie soon.

Can't find the freebie on the internet site. And there is no
downloaded bin on my pc either.

From: Russ Finley on

From: Pete Dashwood on
Russ Finley wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2:10 pm, Russ Finley <netsoftdu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone have a copy of the free download Microfocus Express.net
>> Compilier? I attempted to download this free compilier a couple of
>> times now, and it looks as if they have removed the download page.
>>
>> Please let me know, if you have a copy.
>>
>> Thanks Russ
>
> Actually, does anyone have an feedback, good or bad on Microfocus
> Express.net Compilier?

It is a very good product and implements COBOL well.

However, the free edition is limited in what you can do with it, and ANY
edition requires run time fees if you distribute applications developed with
it.

If you are doing some hobby programming for fun on your own system, the free
version is fine; for anything beyond that you will need to buy it.

When I was faced with this same dilemma a number of years back, I went with
Fujitsu COBOL.

It is also an excellent product, implements COBOL very well, and does NOT
have runtime fees.

Again, the free version has some limitations, and, as far as I am aware,
there is no free version for .NET development.

For .NET development, both VB.NET and C# are free downloads that are NOT
limited in what you can do, and do NOT impose distribution or runtime fees.

Pete.