From: William B. Lurie on
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> I just spent an unsuccessful and frustrating 15 minutes
>> searching for driver software for my
>> Microsoft Windows Wireless Mouse 4000.
>> If someone could give me a link to that download,
>> I'd appreciate it.
>
> Is it failing to 'just work' when plugged in? Does it have some special
> buttons or the likes you want to program?
>
> Essentially - it should 'just work'. There's nothing exceedingly unique
> about your mouse.
>
> I suppose you are wanting the "IntelliPoint" software.
> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=MK
>
> Essentially, you want:
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/A/7/8A76F2CF-0EB7-4690-8287-83BD2DD90118/IPx86_1033_7.10.344.0.exe
>
> You can read about it here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/intellipoint/readme
>
> Truthfully - that's a pretty simplistic mouse - I don't know much of
> anything you might gain from the extra software. ;-)

You are, of course, correct on all counts, Shenan.
The reason I need the software is that I was obliged for
other reasons to install the mouse software on a backup
clone which antedates the mouse installation and I needed
its drivers. The download center led me to IntelliPoint
drivers but I wasn't aware that by selecting them, it
would lead me to the Windows Mobile Mouse 4000.
From: VanguardLH on
William B. Lurie wrote:

> I just spent an unsuccessful and frustrating 15 minutes
> searching for driver software for my
> Microsoft Windows Wireless Mouse 4000.
> If someone could give me a link to that download,
> I'd appreciate it.

For Microsoft branded hardware (Microsoft doesn't produce any hardware
but merely licenses someone else to stamp "Microsoft" on their
products), I usually start at:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware

Then I go searching on the type of hardware and drill down to the model.
So, with the info you provided:

- I hovered the mouse pointer over the "Mice and Keyboards" link on the
left panel. This brought up a submenu where I clicked on "Mice".
- In the "Show Me" listbox, I selected "Wireless Technology" and clicked
the Go button.
- I scrolled the page down to where it showed the "Wireless Mobile Mouse
4000". That's the only match on "4000". You didn't say it was a
mobile version but that's all they listed here.
- I clicked on the product link.
- Dead end. Alas, Microsoft wasn't polite in providing links to
software and manuals specifically for this product.
- So I clicked on the "Download Software" link in the left panel.
- Clicked on the "Software for Microsoft keyboard, mouse, and
fingerprint reader products" link.
- Selected the following in the listboxes:
o Type of product: Mouse
o Product: Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000
o Operating system: Windows XP (32-bit). That was a guess versus a
64-bit version.
o Language: English (same as you used in your post here).
- That gave me a link to the Intellipoint 7.1 software.

If you don't need support for the tilt scrolling or extra 2 buttons then
a 3-button scrollwheel mouse driver already included in Windows should
be sufficient to work with this mouse.

As I recall with installation of the Intellipoint software, you are
supposed to select with which product it is to work. If you installed
Intellipoint already, maybe you picked the wrong product during install.
From: William B. Lurie on
VanguardLH wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>
>> I just spent an unsuccessful and frustrating 15 minutes
>> searching for driver software for my
>> Microsoft Windows Wireless Mouse 4000.
>> If someone could give me a link to that download,
>> I'd appreciate it.
>
> For Microsoft branded hardware (Microsoft doesn't produce any hardware
> but merely licenses someone else to stamp "Microsoft" on their
> products), I usually start at:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware
>
> Then I go searching on the type of hardware and drill down to the model.
> So, with the info you provided:
>
> - I hovered the mouse pointer over the "Mice and Keyboards" link on the
> left panel. This brought up a submenu where I clicked on "Mice".
> - In the "Show Me" listbox, I selected "Wireless Technology" and clicked
> the Go button.
> - I scrolled the page down to where it showed the "Wireless Mobile Mouse
> 4000". That's the only match on "4000". You didn't say it was a
> mobile version but that's all they listed here.
> - I clicked on the product link.
> - Dead end. Alas, Microsoft wasn't polite in providing links to
> software and manuals specifically for this product.
> - So I clicked on the "Download Software" link in the left panel.
> - Clicked on the "Software for Microsoft keyboard, mouse, and
> fingerprint reader products" link.
> - Selected the following in the listboxes:
> o Type of product: Mouse
> o Product: Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000
> o Operating system: Windows XP (32-bit). That was a guess versus a
> 64-bit version.
> o Language: English (same as you used in your post here).
> - That gave me a link to the Intellipoint 7.1 software.
>
> If you don't need support for the tilt scrolling or extra 2 buttons then
> a 3-button scrollwheel mouse driver already included in Windows should
> be sufficient to work with this mouse.
>
> As I recall with installation of the Intellipoint software, you are
> supposed to select with which product it is to work. If you installed
> Intellipoint already, maybe you picked the wrong product during install.

Thanks....but as my earlier posting indicated, the drivers
I needed were in the monster list of Intelli-whatever software, and
it's working.