From: sturitch on
the automatic and manual attempts to load microsoft.NET framework 1.1 sevice
pack 1 constantly fails with the message SL121.tmp common language runtime
debugging sevice, "The application has generated an exception that cannot be
handled"
Process id=0xd8c(3468),thread id =oxd98(3480)

click cancell to debug

clicking cancell reults in regestered debugger JIT is not available
attempts to launch with the following comand result in error code 0x2(2)
Cordbg, exe !a 0xd8c

Has any one solved this problem any help would be greatly recived as this
update is demmed to be urgent.
From: Pat Walters [MSFT] on
"sturitch",

I'm sorry that you are hitting this issue. Please take a look at the
following:

1. Click Start
2. Click Control Panel
3. Click Administrative Tools
4. Find and double-click the latest "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Configuration" (notice NOT the Wizards -- you can tell the difference in
this window by clicking on View and then clicking Details)
5. Once the .NET Configuration 1.1 opens, in the left hand pane, please
click the plus sign in front of Runtime Security Policy
6. Click the plus sign in front of Machine
7. Click the plus sign in front of Code Groups
8. Click the plus sign in front of All_Code
9. Right-click on "My_Computer_Zone," and click Properties
10. Click on the "Permission Set" tab
11. In the "Permission set:" pull down menu, verify or set the permission to
"FullTrust"
12. Click OK to close the properties window
13. Close the .NET Configuration 1.1 window
14. Close the Administrative Tools window
15. Restart the computer
16. Try to install the update again, but verify the hour and minute just
before installation. Tell us if you have the same error.

In fact, send us the log entries relevant to the failure:
On Windows XP:
17. Assuming it failed, Click Start
18. Click Run
19. Type: %WINDIR%\WindowsUpdate.log
20. Press <Enter> or Click OK
21. When the log opens, scroll down to the hour and minute you memorized in
step 16.
22. Starting at the beginning of the first entry for that minute, click and
drag down and to the right selecting the rest of the log.
23. Click Edit, then Copy, or just press the <CTRL> and <C> keys.
25. When that window opens, Tell us what update you attempted to install,
and where it failed from your observation.
26. After this, on a new line, state the following and press <Enter>: Log
entries follow:
27. Place the cursor on the line under the entry from step 26, and then
click Edit, then Paste, or just press the <CTRL> and <V> keys.
28. The log entries copied in steps 22-23 should have copied into your
posting.
29. Send it to us, and let us take a look at this failure.

Sincerely,

Pat Walters [MSFT]