From: nntp on
Date 5/4/2010
Starting in early summer 2010, Microsoft will begin progressively closing down the Microsoft public newsgroups to enrich conversations in the rapidly-growing forum platform. This decision is in response to worldwide market trends and evolving customer needs.

Microsoft continues to invest in forums to reduce customer effort, consolidate community venues and make it easier for active contributors to retain their influence. Forums provide a healthy community environment with less spam and make answers easier to find by customers and search engines. Additionally, forums offer a better user and off-topic management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by facilitating discussions in a clean space.

We understand that some newsgroups are still active, and important to the community. In the coming days and weeks, we will be rolling out tools and resources to minimize disruption to the community discussions.

We are working diligently on providing additional resources and information in local languages later this week. In the meantime, please refer to the official Microsoft Newsgroup website http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx concerning this issue. The Microsoft Newsgroup website will be made available in additional languages in the next few days.

From: Fred Boer on
Does this mean what I think it means?! Death of Microsoft sponsored
newsgroups I can read with a proper news reader? Forced to use a web-based
reader?!

--
Fred Boer - Amateur Access Enthusiast
Interests: Library software / Z39.50 / Web Services

From: Arvin Meyer [MVP] on
Essentially yes.

There are still UseNet NNTP newsgroups for those who don't want to deal with
forums, and there are many web based forums with varying degrees of ease of
use, both with Microsoft, and with others.

--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

From: Fred Boer on
Thanks, Arvin. I suppose that's true, but I *like* these forums, I am
comfortable using them, and I, for one, will certainly miss them. Ah, well,
I guess I should be mature about this and accept those things I cannot
change... :(

Cheers!

From: Dirk Goldgar on
> Thanks, Arvin. I suppose that's true, but I *like* these forums, I am
> comfortable using them, and I, for one, will certainly miss them. Ah,
> well, I guess I should be mature about this and accept those things I
> cannot change... :(

Rage, rage against the dying of the light!

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)