From: 98 Guy on
Twayne wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_posting

Trying to make a point to an automated posting program makes you an
idiot.

Responding three times means that you're an idiot x 3.

Microsoft was, more or less, correct in multiposting that announcement
because each group must deal with it in their own way. It would have
created an enormous amount of noise if it was cross-posted and people
started to resond to it and maintain all the groups in their replies.

There are hundreds of microsoft newsgroups, and cross-posting between
them would have resulted in caos.
From: Twayne on
In news:4BE4C2FE.38988FA9(a)Guy.com,
98 Guy <98(a)Guy.com> typed:

From: Twayne on
In news:4BE4C2FE.38988FA9(a)Guy.com,
98 Guy <98(a)Guy.com> typed:
> Twayne wrote:
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_posting
>
> Trying to make a point to an automated posting program
> makes you an idiot.
>
> Responding three times means that you're an idiot x 3.
>
> Microsoft was, more or less, correct in multiposting that
> announcement because each group must deal with it in their
> own way. It would have created an enormous amount of noise
> if it was cross-posted and people started to resond to it
> and maintain all the groups in their replies.
>
> There are hundreds of microsoft newsgroups, and
> cross-posting between them would have resulted in caos.

It is their second posting of such, NOT originated at MS, and violates ALL
newsgroup etiquette in existance anywhere. It is against any set rules for
their own newsgroups and also per RCF and FYI on netiquette. In reality, it
is spam. It is the wrong way to contact anyone about anything.

I also wish to extend thanks to you for prolonging the life of this thread;
the more MS's violations of their own rules get pointed out, the better.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: Twayne on
In addition, this one, which actually DID come from MS or is a very good
forgery, violates the multi-post vs x-post, which would have made ALL of the
silliness of seeing the post over and over a moot point. Here's proof of
their multipost from their spam headers:

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
<---MULTIPOSTED!!

From: 98 Guy on
I see that this was your second attempt to post this reply.

Full-quoter Twayne wrote:

> > Trying to make a point to an automated posting program
> > makes you an idiot.
> >
> > Responding three times means that you're an idiot x 3.
>
> It is their second posting of such, NOT originated at MS,

?

Of course it *was* originated "by" MS (not "at" MS).

What evidence do you have that it was not posted by Microsoft?

> and violates ALL newsgroup etiquette in existance anywhere.

Explain what etiquette rules it violated.

> It is against any set rules for their own newsgroups

Again, please explain what rules were broken.

Also note that the posts were to inform readers that the groups would
soon be closing. A very important and very rare occassion for a usenet
server.

> and also per RCF and FYI on netiquette.

I didn't think there were RFC's for message composition style (ie -
netiquette).

> In reality, it is spam.

Uh, no. Those posts were messages from the system operators to the
readers.

> It is the wrong way to contact anyone about anything.

If the sys-admins want to inform system users of a change to the servers
they are using, what better way than to post a message informing them of
the change?

> I also wish to extend thanks to you for prolonging the life of
> this thread; the more MS's violations of their own rules get
> pointed out, the better.

Do you have any idea what is going on?

Do you know what is going to happen with these groups?