From: Bob Riemersma on
Has anyone considered the notion of using a technology like Osiris as a
replacement?

http://osiris.kodeware.net/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osiris_(Serverless_Portal_System)

> Osiris is an engine that makes possible to build anarchic forums and
> portals where members directly choose rules and conventions by themselves.
>
> Osiris portals are serverless, so they spread through the P2P network
> members. This allows the portals to be independent of central servers,
> free
> and indestructibles since they are supported by every portal member.
> Moreover, all the sent contents are anonymous, enabling a strong privacy
> protection and ensuring that no one can overwhelm this experiment of free
> thought and knowledge distribution.
> Osiris can also build monarchic portals for a traditional moderation.

Yes, it is "Web based" in the sense that its forums are HTML-formatted
rather than plain text. That's a given. However an attractive feature
might be its "serverless" nature, being based on P2P techniques. The
ability to use Isis (an HTTP front-end for read-only access) means there
would be a point of entry for casual users as well as spidering agents at
Google, et al.

Imperfect? Yes, it seems a little rough in spots yet. It's also apparently
made of a grab-bag of C++, Apache Foundation libraries, Python, and SQLLite.
That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence here. I also worry a little about
reliance on the central presence/discovery server in Italy.

Beyond that though the concept looks interesting.