From: nntp on
Date 5/4/2010
Starting in early summer 2010, Microsoft will begin progressively closing down the Microsoft public newsgroups to enrich conversations in the rapidly-growing forum platform. This decision is in response to worldwide market trends and evolving customer needs.

Microsoft continues to invest in forums to reduce customer effort, consolidate community venues and make it easier for active contributors to retain their influence. Forums provide a healthy community environment with less spam and make answers easier to find by customers and search engines. Additionally, forums offer a better user and off-topic management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by facilitating discussions in a clean space.

We understand that some newsgroups are still active, and important to the community. In the coming days and weeks, we will be rolling out tools and resources to minimize disruption to the community discussions.

We are working diligently on providing additional resources and information in local languages later this week. In the meantime, please refer to the official Microsoft Newsgroup website http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx concerning this issue. The Microsoft Newsgroup website will be made available in additional languages in the next few days.

From: Hector Santos on
Looks, like you need to review your dupe checker!!

Pathetic. As an early pioneer of online communications software, of
all types, including the augmentation of RFC x822 based systems, this
is a bad decision by Microsoft. I can understand elimination of many
NNTP newsgroups, but all of them? Terrible!

--
HLS
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
They also have serious problems with line length!

It is a bad decision, based on a sequence of bad decisions, based on a lack of
understanding of the community and its needs (sort of follows the modern philosophy, "We
don't need to llisten to users, WE tell THEM how the Right Way To Do Things is, and if
they don't like it, screw them".

It is not aided by the horrible protocol they have chosen to make the NNTP Bridge
download; instead of a simple "download this program now" button, they require a login,
and I've long since forgotten my password, and you get blank screens because they think
you are going to be foolish enough to allow unknown and unverifiable code to run on your
machine. Gee, it is SO EASY to create a hyperlink that downloads a file, you'd think they
could manage something this simple. You might even think they would understand how
communities work. But let's not ask for too much here. I'll settle for a simple
hyperlink that works.
joe

On Tue, 04 May 2010 23:16:15 -0400, Hector Santos <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

>Looks, like you need to review your dupe checker!!
>
>Pathetic. As an early pioneer of online communications software, of
>all types, including the augmentation of RFC x822 based systems, this
>is a bad decision by Microsoft. I can understand elimination of many
>NNTP newsgroups, but all of them? Terrible!
>
>nntp(a)microsoft.com wrote:
>
>> Date 5/4/2010
>> Starting in early summer 2010, Microsoft will begin progressively closing down the Microsoft public newsgroups to enrich conversations in the rapidly-growing forum platform. This decision is in response to worldwide market trends and evolving customer needs.
>>
>> Microsoft continues to invest in forums to reduce customer effort, consolidate community venues and make it easier for active contributors to retain their influence. Forums provide a healthy community environment with less spam and make answers easier to find by customers and search engines. Additionally, forums offer a better user and off-topic management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by facilitating discussions in a clean space.
>>
>> We understand that some newsgroups are still active, and important to the community. In the coming days and weeks, we will be rolling out tools and resources to minimize disruption to the community discussions.
>>
>> We are working diligently on providing additional resources and information in local languages later this week. In the meantime, please refer to the official Microsoft Newsgroup website http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx concerning this issue. The Microsoft Newsgroup website will be made available in additional languages in the next few days.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Pete Delgado on

"Hector Santos" <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
> Looks, like you need to review your dupe checker!!
>
> Pathetic. As an early pioneer of online communications software, of all
> types, including the augmentation of RFC x822 based systems, this is a bad
> decision by Microsoft. I can understand elimination of many NNTP
> newsgroups, but all of them? Terrible!

Perhaps we should have all seen this coming when Microsoft removed Outlook
Express from Windows 7 rather than enhance the product. I'm not sure how I
feel about the online forums, but my gut tells me that this is a mistake as
there are many things that are easily done using nntp newsreaders that
become difficult with html-based forum software.

For example, how would one filter out messages by a specific poster?

-Pete

From: Hector Santos on
Pete Delgado wrote:

> "Hector Santos" <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Looks, like you need to review your dupe checker!!
>>
>> Pathetic. As an early pioneer of online communications software, of all
>> types, including the augmentation of RFC x822 based systems, this is a bad
>> decision by Microsoft. I can understand elimination of many NNTP
>> newsgroups, but all of them? Terrible!
>
> Perhaps we should have all seen this coming when Microsoft removed Outlook
> Express from Windows 7 rather than enhance the product. I'm not sure how I
> feel about the online forums, but my gut tells me that this is a mistake as
> there are many things that are easily done using nntp newsreaders that
> become difficult with html-based forum software.
>
> For example, how would one filter out messages by a specific poster?

Exactly Pete.

There are so many issues with poor decision that it ain't funny any
more :)

--
HLS