From: nntp on
Date 5/4/2010

Starting in early summer 2010, Microsoft will begin progressively closing
down the Microsoft public newsgroups to enrich conversations in the
rapidly-growing forum platform. This decision is in response to worldwide
market trends and evolving customer needs.

Microsoft continues to invest in forums to reduce customer effort,
consolidate community venues and make it easier for active contributors to
retain their influence. Forums provide a healthy community environment with
less spam and make answers easier to find by customers and search engines.
Additionally, forums offer a better user and off-topic management platform
that will improve customer satisfaction by facilitating discussions in a
clean space.

We understand that some newsgroups are still active, and important to the
community. In the coming days and weeks, we will be rolling out tools and
resources to minimize disruption to the community discussions.

We are working diligently on providing additional resources and information
in local languages later this week. In the meantime, please refer to the
official Microsoft Newsgroup website
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx concerning this
issue. The Microsoft Newsgroup website will be made available in additional
languages in the next few days.

From: Steve on

Is the motivation for this move simply to inundate us with Marketing ?

From: mp on
What group are the experts here moving to, once ms deletes this ng?

thanks
mark

From: Arne Vajhøj on
On 17-05-2010 17:20, mp wrote:
> What group are the experts here moving to, once ms deletes this ng?

It has been suggested that the real NNTP servers will continue
carrying the group and that MS will just remove the gateway to
their servers.

If that is correct then many people will probably stay here,
because they like the usenet format.

Arne

From: Peter Duniho on
mp wrote:
> What group are the experts here moving to, once ms deletes this ng?

For the time being, I have no plans to make any change except the NNTP
server I use to access this newsgroup.

I'm using Microsoft's server now, but I only switched from my own
regular ISP to Microsoft's NNTP server because, in the past, we had the
occasional person asking a question here via the Microsoft Communities
web site, and answers I posted from another NNTP server weren't getting
correctly propagated to that web site, while Microsoft's NNTP server was
treated more reliably.

It's been a long time since I've seen a question posted via that web
site though, and of course once Microsoft shuts it down along with their
NNTP server, that issue will be completely moot.

So I don't foresee any particular problem just continuing to use this
newsgroup via my regular news server, the one I use for other stuff.

If ISPs do start to discontinue carrying this and similar newsgroups
after Microsoft's NNTP server shuts down, then I don't know. I really
have very little interest in using a web forum for this kind of
discussion. It's my opinion that NNTP is optimal, because of its
efficiency and the openly-archived nature of it (any web site, no matter
who is running it, will only be archived according to the whim of the
operator).

There has been talk of getting a "big 8" newsgroup created to replace
this one. I'm happy to provide support to an initiative along those
lines, but don't have the bandwidth to drive it. I also don't know
whether there's a solid enough base of Usenet users to successfully do
that, or to continue these discussions there if it does happen (though
obviously I hope there is!).

Pete