From: Dr. George on
I also tried to start the MSSMLBIZ service from the Microsoft SQL
Configuation console. The blue bar got 95% of the way across when the
following message suddenly appeared: "The request failed or the service did
not respond in a timely fashion. Consult the event log or other applicable
error log for details. I searched for and did not find a new error log or
summary text file.
From: Jerry B Jerry on
I am having the same error code (2B26) on a brand new Sony Viao Laptop.
Please let me know if you are able to resolve it. Thanks.

From: Dr. George on
I spoke with a friend who is a certified Microsoft technician. He said that
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express is database software that is utilized by
various Microsoft Office software in addition to software released by other
vendors (ACT 2007, for example). Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express is
incompatible with Vista. However, the installation of Microsoft SQL Server
2005 Express Service Pack 2 is designed to be compatible with Vista. Given
the observation that SP2 won't install properly whether it is downloaded from
the Microsoft website or via Vista Windows Update, the technician thought
that there are other issues that Microsoft didn't think of. You cannot buy
the full server product because various versions cost between $1G and $3G.
And it is unknown whether or not the SQL 2005 Server Express full download is
compatible with Vista and the Microsoft Office or other software vendor's
products. Despite all this, my friend thought that I wouldn't miss SQL
server. By the way, I had two contacts with Microsoft Chat India via e-mail.
I am reluctant to go down that route again until they tell me that they can
do something different to help.

From: Dr. George on
Anything that you can do to help would be appreciated. The summart.txt seems
to indicate that my MS...BIZ file is not qualified for the upgrade. I don't
know why that would be. I have always used genuine Microsoft products. I
just upgraded my MS Office products to 2007. Can I uninstall SQL Server 2005
Express and reinstall a complete Express version that handles Vista? Or will
that interfere with the operation of the MS Office 2007 products? I have MS
Office 2007 Professional, MS Visio 2007 Standard, MS Accounting 2007, MS One
Note 2007, MS Sharepoint Designer 2007. This was a very costly upgrade this
time. Thanks for your help!

From: Robert Aldwinckle on
"Dr. George" <DrGeorge(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I also tried to start the MSSMLBIZ service from the Microsoft SQL
> Configuation console. The blue bar got 95% of the way across when the
> following message suddenly appeared: "The request failed or the service did
> not respond in a timely fashion. Consult the event log or other applicable
> error log for details. I searched for and did not find a new error log or
> summary text file.

How were you searching and for what?

E.g. in your previous post perhaps you could use log
as a find argument and then try to open directly:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup
Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\Redist9_Hotfix_KB921896_SqlSupport.msi.log

(space character for Setup Bootstrap is likely)

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup
Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\Redist9_Hotfix_KB921896_sqlncli.msi.log

(ditto)

Etc.

So, then I would try opening the containing subdirectory

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\

to see what else is in there. E.g. perhaps there would also be initial logs
with more clues for the products which "do not qualify for this update"?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---