From: none on
Was thinking about trying this SW. Would like user input:

* does it constantly run (monitoring network traffic etc)?
* does it consume CPU to slow down system (e.g. Norton)?
* is it STABLE?
* does it 'phone home' without your permission?

Any other pro's, con's?

Lastly, I also use Windows 2000. Any AV recommendations for it?

From: Sy Kosis on
It is not reliable.

Windows 2000? Ask in the proper newsgroup, not windows XP. Or, if you've
ever heard of Google....

:

From: Unknown on
What do you mean 'not reliable'? Works fine here. No problems whatsoever.

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 15:37:38 -0500, "none" <nospam(a)bogusaddress.com>
wrote:

> Was thinking about trying this SW. Would like user input:
>
> * does it constantly run (monitoring network traffic etc)?
> * does it consume CPU to slow down system (e.g. Norton)?
> * is it STABLE?
> * does it 'phone home' without your permission?
>
> Any other pro's, con's?

It is much better than Norton and is one of the better free anti-virus
programs. Yes, it's stable and it doesn't phone home.

> Lastly, I also use Windows 2000. Any AV recommendations for it?

Here's my standard recommendation:

For an anti-virus program, I recommend eSet NOD32, if you are willing
to pay for it. If you want a free anti-virus, I recommend one of the
following three:

Avira
Avast
Microsoft Security Essentials

You also need anti-spyware software. I recommend that you download and
install (both freeware) MalwareBytes AntiMalware *and*
SuperAntiSpyware.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Pegasus [MVP] on
"none" <nospam(a)bogusaddress.com> wrote in message
> Was thinking about trying this SW. Would like user input:
>
> * does it constantly run (monitoring network traffic etc)?
*** Yes.

> * does it consume CPU to slow down system (e.g. Norton)?
*** Not noticeably.

> * is it STABLE?
*** Yes.

> * does it 'phone home' without your permission?
*** Not as far as I know.

> Any other pro's, con's?
I have used MSE on about 20 machines since December 2009 without any
problem. It runs quietly in the background and it just takes care of itself.
With other virus scanners I had several minor or major problems, e.g. the
scanner putting system files into quarantine, or deleting utility files, or
persistently nagging users one month prior to the licence expiring.

> Lastly, I also use Windows 2000. Any AV recommendations for it?
Since Windows 2000 is no longer supported, you'll have to find out which
scanner will still run under that OS.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: System Information moved or missing
Next: MSE