From: Boxed Peanut Butter Boxed Peanut on
Microsoft Update takes 5 to 15 times longer, consumes 100% CPU, uses three
times the amount of RAM, and chugs the hard drive way more than Windows
Update.

I read that I can turn off checking for certain types of updates (including
Office) but this is a computer I am giving/loaning to someone so I would
rather not. This issue should be fixed at the source.

From: MowGreen on
Boxed Peanut Butter wrote:
> Microsoft Update takes 5 to 15 times longer, consumes 100% CPU, uses three
> times the amount of RAM, and chugs the hard drive way more than Windows
> Update.
>
> I read that I can turn off checking for certain types of updates (including
> Office) but this is a computer I am giving/loaning to someone so I would
> rather not. This issue should be fixed at the source.

1) a. What is amount of free space left on the HD ?

b. How much space is being wasted in the Temp folders of each User's
account ? ( Start > Run >type in %temp% , press Enter from each User
account or investigate with Windows Explorer > show hidden files )

2) Is the latest version of the Windows Update Agent installed ?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

3) What is the installed antivirus/security suite; is a 3rd party
firewall being used ?

4) Has a * registry cleaner * been used ?

5) Which version of Office ? BTW, you can NOT turn off checking for
Office Updates on the MU site or via the MU automatic update servers.

If the system does not have Office installed, suggest you just use WU
until the day MS forces the switch to MU.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
And your full Windows version is...?

[If it's WinXP SP2 or SP3, don't hold your breath.]

"Boxed Peanut Butter" wrote