From: Neil Hodgson on
There is a blog post from Jimmy Schementi who previously worked at
Microsoft on IronRuby about the state of dynamic language work there.

http://blog.jimmy.schementi.com/2010/08/start-spreading-news-future-of-jimmy.html

Neil
From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <Tq17o.2754$FH2.223(a)viwinnwfe02.internal.bigpond.com>, Neil Hodgson wrote:

> http://blog.jimmy.schementi.com/2010/08/start-spreading-news-future-of-jimmy.html

Frankly I never understood the point of IronPython and IronRuby. They seemed
like a desperate attempt to keep Dotnet relevant in the modern world of
dynamic languages. Looks like it was a failure. Yawn.
From: Tim Roberts on
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo(a)geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

>Frankly I never understood the point of IronPython and IronRuby. They seemed
>like a desperate attempt to keep Dotnet relevant in the modern world of
>dynamic languages. Looks like it was a failure. Yawn.

I'm not sure that's really fair. The .NET Common Language Runtime is a
vast and very useful class library, including two complete GUI systems. The
thought was that IronPython and IronRuby would let people who were
comfortable in those languages tap into the CLR.

In the end, it seemed to me that writing an IronPython program was mostly
an exercise of writing it in C# and then translating. .NET is just too
"tuned" for C# and VB. Although IronPython was a good fit, it was just not
a great fit.
--
Tim Roberts, timr(a)probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <7fr16650meigqgmj8rh0n3a66q9r4j4eva(a)4ax.com>, Tim Roberts wrote:

> The .NET Common Language Runtime is a vast and very useful class library,
> including two complete GUI systems.

Used only by corporate code-cutter drones.

Go on, name one creative thing which was ever done in Dotnet.
From: Stefan Behnel on
Lawrence D'Oliveiro, 10.08.2010 08:42:
> In message<7fr16650meigqgmj8rh0n3a66q9r4j4eva(a)4ax.com>, Tim Roberts wrote:
>
>> The .NET Common Language Runtime is a vast and very useful class library,
>> including two complete GUI systems.
>
> Used only by corporate code-cutter drones.
>
> Go on, name one creative thing which was ever done in Dotnet.

Erm, this is Microsoft. It's not about being creative, it's about selling
stuff to users.

Stefan