From: SnapDive on

Looking for some tactical thinking related to a task I'll have to
accomplish in 1 or a few TSQL scripts. This will have to be a
repeatable thing.

I have a development database and a production database. The schemata
between the two are very similar, the development one has some columns
added, some dropped, some typed differently, the same goes for some
tables and views. The constraints (Foreign Key, Check) are different
also. A few tables are 'lookup tables' that may have different content
between the two databases.

I need production to look like development, but I cannot lose any rows
of data from production. Production has 100+gb of data, so something
like copying produciton->development and then tweaking won't work I
don't think.

I need a good set of tactics, etc that will let me make the schemata
changes in development and get them to production. I am in a small
shop that cannot buy/use something like a Red Gate Tool. We have
already shelled out $$$ for Visual Studio 2008 and have (GDR update)
database project capability.

I know this is not a new problem, so if there are any pointers to
publically-available TSQL scripts for this type of admin work, I'm all
ears. :)

Thanks.

From: Uri Dimant on
Hi