From: Tony Johansson on
Hello!

I have a web site using ASP.NET that is using the famous Northwind database.
If I use suser_sname in my program and use IIS wich is using account ASPNET
I get
hempc\aspnet.
If I use suser_sname and run from within VisualStudio I get the hempc\Tony
because that is
the account that I use to login to the computer

Setting in Windows
***************
If I look at My Computer->Manage and select users I can see that I have a
user names ASPNET
that DOESN'T belong to any group such as Users or administrator.

Settings in SQL Server express
************************
If I look at Security->Logins I have the following three accounts
BUILTIN\Administrator
BUILTIN\Users
sa

Now to my question.
How can ASPNET log in to SQL Server when this user doesn't belong to any
group. I double check in
My Computer->Manage and select users. I absolutely sure that ASPNET account
doesn't belong to any group.

So can anybody explain how ASPNET get login rights to my SQL Server express
2005 ????

//Tony

From: Uri Dimant on
ASPNET account is only used by aspnet_wp.exe in IIS 5 (or IIS 5 compatible
mode for IIS 6). If you use IIS 6 and above where worker process name is
w3wp.exe, you can disable ASPNET even if you do ASP.NET development.

http://weblogs.asp.net/mschwarz/archive/2003/03/31/4515.aspx

From: Tony Johansson on
I have IIS 5

Have you an answer to my question that I posted in the previous mail.

//Tony

From: Uri Dimant on
Tony
ASPNET account belongs only to the Users group on that computer, that is
strange you do not see it
Are you sure that it is not there?

>I have IIS 5
>
> Have you an answer to my question that I posted in the previous mail.
>
> //Tony
>
> "Uri Dimant" <urid(a)iscar.co.il> skrev i meddelandet
>> ASPNET account is only used by aspnet_wp.exe in IIS 5 (or IIS 5
>> compatible mode for IIS 6). If you use IIS 6 and above where worker
>> process name is w3wp.exe, you can disable ASPNET even if you do ASP.NET
>> development.
>>

>> http://weblogs.asp.net/mschwarz/archive/2003/03/31/4515.aspx
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178329.aspx
>>

>> "Tony Johansson" <johansson.andersson(a)telia.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I have a web site using ASP.NET that is using the famous Northwind
>>> database.
>>> If I use suser_sname in my program and use IIS wich is using account
>>> ASPNET I get
>>> hempc\aspnet.
>>> If I use suser_sname and run from within VisualStudio I get the
>>> hempc\Tony because that is
>>> the account that I use to login to the computer
>>>

>>> Setting in Windows
>>> ***************
>>> If I look at My Computer->Manage and select users I can see that I have
>>> a user names ASPNET
>>> that DOESN'T belong to any group such as Users or administrator.
>>>
>>> Settings in SQL Server express
>>> ************************
>>> If I look at Security->Logins I have the following three accounts
>>> BUILTIN\Administrator
>>> BUILTIN\Users

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Tony Johansson (johansson.andersson(a)telia.com) writes:
> I have a web site using ASP.NET that is using the famous Northwind
> database. If I use suser_sname in my program and use IIS wich is using
> account ASPNET I get hempc\aspnet.
> Settings in SQL Server express
> ************************
> If I look at Security->Logins I have the following three accounts
> BUILTIN\Administrator
> BUILTIN\Users
> sa
>
> Now to my question.
> How can ASPNET log in to SQL Server when this user doesn't belong to any
> group.

BUILTIN\Users sounds to me like a group that includes all users on the
machine. Including ASPNET.

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at