From: Tony Johansson on
Hello!

I have now done a very silly thing.

I have been playing around to get a better understanding how all this works.

I have right click and take properies on the builtin\administrator and then
select the server Roles and here I have
unchecked the sysadmin.

This mean that I can't check this sysadmin for builtin\administrator any
more the errro message is
user does not have permission to perform this action. Is there any
workaround to fix this

//Tony

From: Jeffrey Williams on
If you are using mixed authentication mode and know the 'sa' password, log
on with the 'sa' account and modify the accounts you need to be sysadmin.
Personally, I would not add that property back in to the
builtin\administrator account - I normally remove that privilege anyways.

If you don't have 'sa' access - you need to shut down SQL Server and restart
in single-user mode. Once started that way, you can login using DAC and
reset account privileges. You can lookup the procedure in books online.

Jeff

From: Uri Dimant on
Tony
The 'best practice' is that SQL Server runs under domain account and not as
Local Admin , but I am seeing lot of business that do the oppoiste:-)

So sure , before uchecking the sysadmin you would have added an account
that sql server runs under then restart the service and then uncheck.

Well as Jeffrey pointed , log in as sa in change it back

From: Tony Johansson on
The sa account is disabled because there is a red arrow poining down on the
sa icon in the Logins section.
So if I try this command
alter login sa enable
I get this error message
Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Cannot alter the login 'sa', because it does not exist or you do not have
permission

So is it any other way to enable the sa account so I can
use it to set sysadmin on the builtin\administrator

//Tony

From: Tony Johansson on

I have looked but haven't found any procedure that point out how I restart
in single-user mode and
once started that way, I can login using DAC and reset account privileges.

Can you point out any site where I can find this kind of information.