From: Sardine on
Frank Martin wrote:
> My WindowsXP icons tend to move about on the screen, and
> since I have so many they can be hard to find.
>
> How can I stop this happening, and/or can I save/restore
> their original positions?
>
> Please help,
> Desperate
> Frank

Frank:

If you value the custom placing of icons, do NOT upgrade to windows 7.
It has one, and only one, way to arrange icons. This is truly a pain in
the arss and has many people crying.

Sardine
From: Shenan Stanley on
Sardine wrote:
> If you value the custom placing of icons, do NOT upgrade to windows
> 7. It has one, and only one, way to arrange icons. This is truly a
> pain in the arss and has many people crying.

.... Wha? ...

This:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/save-and-restore-desktop-icon-layout-in-windows-vista/

(Works in Windows 7)

And/or

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

(I actually have both, just in case one failed - plus I use Multiple
monitors and have always liked UltraMon.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: dadiOH on
Frank Martin wrote:
> My WindowsXP icons tend to move about on the screen, and
> since I have so many they can be hard to find.
>
> How can I stop this happening, and/or can I save/restore
> their original positions?

The simplest solution is to simply not fill the desktop with a plethora of
icons. Use the desktop as you would a real one...for items upon which you
are currently working. For easy access to the other icons you now have on
the desktop, make one or more toolbars and put the icons in them.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

From: Frank Martin on

"Frank Martin" <fm(a)general.com.au> wrote in message
> My WindowsXP icons tend to move about on the screen, and
> since I have so many they can be hard to find.
>
> How can I stop this happening, and/or can I save/restore
> their original positions?
>
> Please help,
> Desperate
> Frank