From: MeTed on
I have questions to anyone who has migrated to 2010 and coexisted for a
period of time with 2003. The 'Exchange Server Deployment Assistant'
states "..create a legacy DNS host name so your legacy Exchange
environment...can coexist". Why can't I keep my current host name and
create new ones for 2010 access?

Also, it states to point this host name to my 2003 box. Here's my question
on this. I have one Public IP (right now at least). I have a WatchGuard FB
x550e. I posted a Q in WatchGuard's forum to ask if I can put in a rule to
point urlA.domain.com to one Internal IP and urlB.domain.com to a different
Internal IP. Apparently the answer is no. I have a specific need to
co-exist for a couple of weeks. Is there any way to accomplish this with
one Public IP?

From: TheScullster on

"MeTed" wrote

>I have questions to anyone who has migrated to 2010 and coexisted for a
>period of time with 2003. The 'Exchange Server Deployment Assistant'
>states "..create a legacy DNS host name so your legacy Exchange
>environment...can coexist". Why can't I keep my current host name and
>create new ones for 2010 access?
>
> Also, it states to point this host name to my 2003 box. Here's my
> question on this. I have one Public IP (right now at least). I have a
> WatchGuard FB x550e. I posted a Q in WatchGuard's forum to ask if I can
> put in a rule to point urlA.domain.com to one Internal IP and
> urlB.domain.com to a different Internal IP. Apparently the answer is no.
> I have a specific need to co-exist for a couple of weeks. Is there any
> way to accomplish this with one Public IP?

Sorry MeTed I can't answer your questions, but for what it's worth...

We use a competent IT support company to supply and upgrade our servers.
They have been providing support for our company for over a decade including
2 multiple server upgrades with minimal issues.
The upgrade from 2003 to Exhange 2010 for us was problematic to say the
least.
Issue #1 - We rely on public folders and it took approx 4 days and numerous
calls to Microsoft (including one lasting about 6 hours on-and-off) to get
the PFs to start migrating.
Issue #2 - Outlook 2007 wouldn't communicated reliably with Exchange 2010.
Fortunately we are a bit behind the times and most are still on Outlook
2003, but it was still a pain finding work arounds for the half dozen users.
Again this took direct Microsoft intervention and hours of time for our
support company to get resolved.

We still get Sync issues every time Outlook is closed/re-opened, but
Googling suggests this is a known problem awaiting a M$ fix.

Nothing like an answer to your questions, but forewarned etc..

Phil