From: Dilbert on
On 17 avr, 10:36, sisyphus <sisyphus...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 17, 1:52 am, Dilbert <dilbert1...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > (...and, while we're on the subject, if possible, also for Windows 64
> > bits ActiveState Perl 5.12, too, but I think that it would be
> > difficult to find a 64 bit version of MinGW ... )
>
> You'll get MinGW64 easy enough athttp://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/-
> though, as I write this, it seems that the site is undergoing an
> upgrade.

I went to http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/ and I downloaded what I
thought would be a MinGW executable package, that is a zip-package
that contains precompiled Windows files like "g++.exe", "gcc.exe" and
"dmake.exe":

Under address
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/

I downloaded
\External binary packages (Win64 hosted)
\Binaries
\Coin-2.5.0-bin-x64.zip
\jpeg-8-bin-x64.zip
\expat-2.0.1-bin-x64.zip
\yasm-0.8.0-bin-x64.zip
\fftw-3.2.2-src.zip
\libiconv-1.13.1-bin-x64.zip
\gsl-1.14-src.zip
\openssl-snapshot20100331-bin-x64.zip
\zlib-1.2.4-bin-x64.zip

I was hoping to find precompiled files like "g++.exe", "gcc.exe" and
"dmake.exe",
but none of these packages had any of the required exe-files.

> In short, for the moment at least, you'd be better off grabbing the
> freely available "Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2"
> compiler and using it with the x64 ActivePerl builds

I can't seem to get the Windows *.exe-files I need for 64 bits from
MinGW, so I grabbed the freely available Microsoft Visual C++ 2008
Compiler (*** a whopping 200 meg !!! ***).

I am currently downloading (45%...) ...let's see how this works out...
From: Dilbert on
On 13 mai, 20:17, Dilbert <dilbert1...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 avr, 10:36, sisyphus <sisyphus...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > In short, for the moment at least, you'd be better off grabbing the
> > freely available "Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2"
> > compiler and using it with the x64 ActivePerl builds
>
> I can't seem to get the Windows *.exe-files I need for 64 bits from
> MinGW, so I grabbed the freely available Microsoft Visual C++ 2008
> Compiler (*** a whopping 200 meg !!! ***).
>
> I am currently downloading (45%...) ...let's see how this works out...

I have downloaded and installed "Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows
Server 2003 R2".

Apparently, I can now compile with Visual C++ 2008 ...

....but the linker complains with a message:
fatal error LNK1112: module machine type 'X86' conflicts with target
machine type 'x64'

I can't find any solution in Google.
From: Bart Lateur on
Dilbert wrote:

>I know, I can get MinGW64 at http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/ or I
>can grab the freely available "Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows
>Server 2003 R2", but I like the "no brain, no pain" philosophy of a
>"ppm install MinGW". So I tried "ppm install MinGW" on Activestate
>Perl 5.12 - Windows 64 bits, but there is still no MinGW Package
>available for 64 bits on the Activestate repo.
>
>Then I tried "ppm install MinGW" on Perl 5.12 - Windows 32 bits, and
>guess what -- it worked.
>
>Hurray, the MinGW Package for Perl 5.12 (Windows 32 bits) is now
>available from the Activestate repo. -- *** A big thank you to all
>those who made this possible !!! *** -- I don't take MinGW for granted
>(next step for me is to test CPANPLUS with Activestate Perl 5.12 to
>install xs based modules under Windows)

If your Perl is 32 bits, then your modules should be built for 32 bits,
too.

--
Bart.
From: Dilbert on
On 14 mai, 14:01, Bart Lateur <bart.lat...(a)telenet.be> wrote:
> Dilbert wrote:
> >I know, I can get MinGW64 athttp://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/or I
> >can grab the freely available "Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows
> >Server 2003 R2", but I like the "no brain, no pain" philosophy of a
> >"ppm install MinGW". So I tried "ppm install MinGW" on Activestate
> >Perl 5.12 - Windows 64 bits, but there is still no MinGW Package
> >available for 64 bits on the Activestate repo.
>
> >Then I tried "ppm install MinGW" on Perl 5.12 - Windows 32 bits, and
> >guess what -- it worked.
>
> >Hurray, the MinGW Package for Perl 5.12 (Windows 32 bits) is now
> >available from the Activestate repo. -- *** A big thank you to all
> >those who made this possible !!! *** -- I don't take MinGW for granted
> >(next step for me is to test CPANPLUS with Activestate Perl 5.12 to
> >install xs based modules under Windows)
>
> If your Perl is 32 bits, then your modules should be built for 32 bits,
> too.

I have got two computers:

- one computer with Windows Vista 64 bits and Activestate Perl 5.12 -
64 bits
- another computer with Windows XP 32 bits and Activestate Perl 5.12
- 32 bits

As already described in the other posts in this thread, I am happy
with "ppm install MinGW" on my 32 bits computer.

However, on my other 64 bits computer, (although I can perfectly
understand that "ppm install MinGW" does not work on a 64 bit Windows
system) I still need to have a C-compiler to build XS-modules from
CPAN.

First I tried to get MinGW64 at http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/, but
I could not find any package/zip file that contained the required pre-
compiled *.exe files for Windows 64 bits.

Then I tried the freely available "Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows
Server 2003 R2", but honestly, this is a nightmare: first of all, the
download+install of VC++/Platform SDK is more than 200 megs, then the
linker complains with a message: fatal error LNK1112: module machine
type 'X86' conflicts with target machine type 'x64'.

I was looking at the article
http://jenshuebel.wordpress.com/2009/02/12/visual-c-2008-express-edition-and-64-bit-targets/
to fix my problems, but on my system I can't even find the slightest
trace of any of the x64/amdx64 directories/dlls mentioned in the
article.

I can understand that a big company like Activestate can afford to use
a MS Visual C++ compiler, but I am simply not clever enough to use the
freely available compiler from Microsoft.

My only hope is that the good people who gave us "ppm install MinGW"
on 32 bits, will repeat their efforts and release the same for 64
bits.
From: Peter J. Holzer on
On 2010-05-14 11:34, Dilbert <dilbert1999(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13 mai, 20:17, Dilbert <dilbert1...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 17 avr, 10:36, sisyphus <sisyphus...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> > In short, for the moment at least, you'd be better off grabbing the
>> > freely available "Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2"
>> > compiler and using it with the x64 ActivePerl builds
>>
>> I can't seem to get the Windows *.exe-files I need for 64 bits from
>> MinGW, so I grabbed the freely available Microsoft Visual C++ 2008
>> Compiler (*** a whopping 200 meg !!! ***).
>>
>> I am currently downloading (45%...) ...let's see how this works out...
>
> I have downloaded and installed "Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows
> Server 2003 R2".
>
> Apparently, I can now compile with Visual C++ 2008 ...
>
> ...but the linker complains with a message:
> fatal error LNK1112: module machine type 'X86' conflicts with target
> machine type 'x64'

You are mixing 32-bit ("x86") and 64-bit ("x64") code. You can't do
that. They need to match. If I understood you correctly, your perl is
64-bits, so you need to compile your modules in 64-bit mode, too.

hp