From: Jeff on
Windows Update reports I have 11 Important updates to install. I've tried
installing all 11, 7, or just a few of them with no success. Doesn't work
over 802.11g nor direct connected to Ethernet. Last successful Update
appears to have been in late NOV 2009. Current error is "Windows Update
error 80246008". "Fix" is to ensure that BITS and Windows Event Log Service
are both set to AutoStart and if stopped, to start both. Windows Event Log
was started. BITS was stopped. Set to Autostart Delayed, clicked on START.
System responses back with Error 2: Cannot find specified file.
Any ideas on how to fix a missing BITS service/file? Thanks..
From: Shenan Stanley on
Jeff wrote:
> Windows Update reports I have 11 Important updates to install.
> I've tried installing all 11, 7, or just a few of them with no
> success. Doesn't work over 802.11g nor direct connected to
> Ethernet. Last successful Update appears to have been in late NOV
> 2009. Current error is "Windows Update error 80246008". "Fix" is
> to ensure that BITS and Windows Event Log Service are both set to
> AutoStart and if stopped, to start both. Windows Event Log was
> started. BITS was stopped. Set to Autostart Delayed, clicked on
> START. System responses back with Error 2: Cannot find specified
> file.
> Any ideas on how to fix a missing BITS service/file? Thanks..

All that and no operating system mentioned? ;-)

You can obtain and supply the edition and version information:

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim. No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying.

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using? Easy to find
out. Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard. With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key. Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed, press (just once, no holding) the "A" key. That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window. It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or
64-bit version of the Windows operating system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Knowing what little has been given so far - I can suggest you go ahead and
do the following (start after you have provided the newsgroup with the above
information by replying to this thread of the conversation you started):

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

*IF* 32-bit Windows (and either XP, Vista) ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done. Close/exit and
reboot when it is.

Otherwise - come back and provide the requested information. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or
newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

Error message when you search for available updates on the Windows Update
Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site: "0x80246008":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956706
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Jeff wrote:
> Windows Update reports I have 11 Important updates to install. I've tried
> installing all 11, 7, or just a few of them with no success. Doesn't work
> over 802.11g nor direct connected to Ethernet. Last successful Update
> appears to have been in late NOV 2009. Current error is "Windows Update
> error 80246008". "Fix" is to ensure that BITS and Windows Event Log
> Service
> are both set to AutoStart and if stopped, to start both. Windows Event
> Log
> was started. BITS was stopped. Set to Autostart Delayed, clicked on
> START.
> System responses back with Error 2: Cannot find specified file.
> Any ideas on how to fix a missing BITS service/file? Thanks..

Pages: 1
Prev: error 641
Next: Error number: 0x8002802B