From: Grandad on
Hi

I need to carry out a system restore from the recovery console. Most of the
keys function as expected with the exception of the @ and " keys which are
reversed - not a problem. However I need to use the ~ key and I cant find
it. Any ideas please
Regards
Grandad

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Grandad" <mick(a)sherwooditsolutions.co.uk> said this in news item
> Hi
>
> I need to carry out a system restore from the recovery console. Most of
> the keys function as expected with the exception of the @ and " keys which
> are reversed - not a problem. However I need to use the ~ key and I cant
> find it. Any ideas please
> Regards
> Grandad

There is always the good old charmap.exe. It tells me that code for the
tilde is 126, hence you can do the usual Alt+0126 if you have exhausted all
Shift and Alt key depressions on your keyboard without finding this
character.

From: Jose on
On Feb 17, 6:56 am, "Grandad" <m...(a)sherwooditsolutions.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need to carry out a system restore from the recovery console.  Most of the
> keys function as expected with the exception of the @ and " keys which are
> reversed - not a problem.  However I need to use the ~ key and I cant find
> it.  Any ideas please
> Regards
> Grandad

All those keys work fine for me in Recovery Console - I just tried it.

How are you launching the Recovery Console?

How are you going to carry out a System Restore from the Recovery
Console?

From: Elmo on
Grandad wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need to carry out a system restore from the recovery console. Most of the
> keys function as expected with the exception of the @ and " keys which are
> reversed - not a problem. However I need to use the ~ key and I cant find
> it. Any ideas please
> Regards
> Grandad

Try this command from the command line.

One can also change the codepage from the command prompt (Will only have
effect for the current session):

mode con cp select=850

That came from this link, found with a Google search.

http://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-keyboard-codepage.html

--
Joe =o)
From: Grandad on
Thanks everyone...

The suggestion from Pegasus worked for me, whereas the one from Elmo didn't,
but that may be down to me. I have now carried out the Restore and am now
back in business. I had to do it through the Recovery Console as windows
would not open in Safe Mode.

Going back to my original question. Later I found that as you go through
the loading of the Recovery Console there is an opportunity to select the
right keyboard. It happens so quickly that I have never seen it before. It
defaulted to the US keyboard and I change it to UK. As they say you learn
something every day. Thanks again everyone.

Grandad