From: Bobbi on
Trying to download an image from a MAC user into Outlook Express, I'm having
trouble opening jpgs and certain other attachments from her. One of my
attempts yields the following error message:

"Cannot find the C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshtml.hlp Help file. Check to see that
the file exists on your disk. If it doesn't, you need to reinstall it."

Couldn't find that file After googling the problem, I found some old posts
suggesting a problem between IE7 and Outlook Express 6. However, I think the
problem is only with mail I get from a certain person who uses a MAC. I
haven't noticed that problem coming from people using Windows machines.

Anyone have any information?

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Is IE7 or IE8 installed on the WinXP computer?

Can you open other JPG files?

If you save the attachment(s) to your HDD, can you open them?

Can you open the attachment/file if you forward the message to yourself?

From: VanguardLH on
Bobbi wrote:

> Trying to download an image from a MAC user into Outlook Express,

Nope. You download emails into OE.

> I'm having
> trouble opening jpgs and certain other attachments from her.

Just HOW are you "opening" the attachments?

Have you tried purging your web browser's TIF folder?

Have you SAVED the attachment to a file on your hard drive and then
double-click it (in Windows Explorer) to see if you can successfully
extract the attachment without corruption and successfully view the
saved attachment from a file on the hard drive?

> One of my
> attempts yields the following error message:
>
> "Cannot find the C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshtml.hlp Help file. Check to see that
> the file exists on your disk. If it doesn't, you need to reinstall it."

And what do the other attempts yield?

What was the filetype of THAT attachment in the e-mail where THAT error
message popped up?

What the attached file named "mshtml.hlp"? There is no file named
mshtml.HLP under the C:\Windows\system32 folder in Windows XP.

There is an mshtml.DLL file there but it certainly isn't a .hlp file.
See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa741312(VS.85).aspx.

> Couldn't find that file After googling the problem, I found some old posts
> suggesting a problem between IE7 and Outlook Express 6. However, I think the
> problem is only with mail I get from a certain person who uses a MAC. I
> haven't noticed that problem coming from people using Windows machines.
>
> Anyone have any information?

I, too, see forum posts mentioning the problem appears to be with IE7
and SP-2. So the solution is probably to install SP-3 or move to IE8 or
do both.

One workaround is to right-click on an image and select Copy. Then
paste it into an image editor (e.g., MS Paint) and save from there.
That would work for embedded images (disposition=inline) within the
e-mail body but not for attached files (disposition=attach).

If the problem is incorporate to OE6, that's a long-dead product so
there will be no further updates to fix this problem.
From: Bobbi on
Hi, PA Bear! Answers are embedded:

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> Is IE7 or IE8 installed on the WinXP computer?
IE7 and SP3.

> Can you open other JPG files?
Yes

> If you save the attachment(s) to your HDD, can you open them?
I can't save the attachments to my HDD. I can see them in the Outlook
Express preview window, but I can't grab them in the same way I can with JPG
attachments from other people. I can right-click on the images in the OE
preview window, but "Save Picture As..." doesn't work; it gives me the error
message "The system canot find the file specified." I can right-click and
choose "Copy", which puts the image on the clipboard. Then I can open MS
Paint and paste it there, then save it as a jpg. (So at least I've found a
work-around.) But if I try to paste it into an MS Word document, all I get
is a blank picture frame.

> Can you open the attachment/file if you forward the message to yourself?
No. Same problems.

I CAN save other types of attachments, such as PDFs and MS Word DOC files.
And JPGs from other people are no problem. I'm suspicious that it's coming
from a MAC computer.

Thanks again,
Bobbi

From: Bobbi on
Hi, VanguardLH. Thanks for your thorough questions below. I'll intermix my
replies in Upper Case to make them easier to spot, so don't think I'm
yelling at you.

"VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message
> Bobbi wrote:
>
>> Trying to download an image from a MAC user into Outlook Express,
>
> Nope. You download emails into OE.
WELL, THE MESSAGE IS FROM A MAC USER, AND SHE'S THE ONLY ONE I'M HAVING THIS
PROBLEM WITH.

>> I'm having
>> trouble opening jpgs and certain other attachments from her.
>
> Just HOW are you "opening" the attachments?
NORMALLY, I CLICK ON THE ATTACHMENT SYMBOL AND ANOTHER WINDOW OPENS WHICH
HAS THE NAMES OF THE FILE(S) IN THE TOP BOX. THEN I CAN EITHER CLICK ON
THOSE FILE NAMES AND HAVE THEM OPEN IN THE APPROPRIATE PROGRAM, OR DRAG THEM
TO A DIRECTORY, OR DROP THEM ON A DESKTOP ICON SUCH AS MS PAINT, ETC.

> Have you tried purging your web browser's TIF folder?
YES (BUT IT'S ALWAYS GOOD TO BE REMINDED)

> Have you SAVED the attachment to a file on your hard drive and then
> double-click it (in Windows Explorer) to see if you can successfully
> extract the attachment without corruption and successfully view the
> saved attachment from a file on the hard drive?
I CAN'T SAVE THE JPG FILE IN THE SAME WAY I CAN SAVE JPGS FROM EVERYONE
ELSE. I CAN'T GRAB IT EASILY.

>> One of my
>> attempts yields the following error message:
>>
>> "Cannot find the C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshtml.hlp Help file. Check to see
>> that
>> the file exists on your disk. If it doesn't, you need to reinstall it."
>
> And what do the other attempts yield?
I CAN RIGHT CLICK ON THE IMAGE IN THE OUTLOOK EXPRESS PREVIEW WINDOW. THE
OPTION "SAVE PICTURE AS...." DOESN'T WORK; I GET AN ERROR MESSAGE "THE
SYSTEM CANNOT FIND THE FILE SPECIFIED." I CAN CHOOSE COPY, WHICH PUTS IT ON
THE CLIPBOARD, THEN OPEN MS PAINT AND PASTE IT THERE, THEN SAVE IT AS A JPG.
BUT I SHOULD BE ABLE TO SAVE IT IN THE SAME WAY I DO FOR JPGS FROM EVERYONE
ELSE.

> What was the filetype of THAT attachment in the e-mail where THAT error
> message popped up?
JPGS. (I DON'T HAVE PROBLEMS WITH OTHER TYPES OF DOCUMENTS, LIKE DOC OR PDF,
FROM THIS PERSON, JUST JPGS.)

> What the attached file named "mshtml.hlp"? There is no file named
> mshtml.HLP under the C:\Windows\system32 folder in Windows XP.
THAT WAS THE ERROR MESSAGE THAT POPPED UP WHILE I WAS TRYING DIFFERENT
THINGS TO TRY TO SAVE THE FILE. IT DID SAY "HLP" (NOT "DLL"). DO I HAVE A
VIRUS?

> There is an mshtml.DLL file there but it certainly isn't a .hlp file.
> See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa741312(VS.85).aspx.
>
>> Couldn't find that file After googling the problem, I found some old
>> posts
>> suggesting a problem between IE7 and Outlook Express 6. However, I think
>> the
>> problem is only with mail I get from a certain person who uses a MAC. I
>> haven't noticed that problem coming from people using Windows machines.
>>
>> Anyone have any information?
>
> I, too, see forum posts mentioning the problem appears to be with IE7
> and SP-2. So the solution is probably to install SP-3 or move to IE8 or
> do both.
I HAVE SP3.

> One workaround is to right-click on an image and select Copy. Then
> paste it into an image editor (e.g., MS Paint) and save from there.
> That would work for embedded images (disposition=inline) within the
> e-mail body but not for attached files (disposition=attach).
>
> If the problem is incorporate to OE6, that's a long-dead product so
> there will be no further updates to fix this problem.
WELL, IT WORKS GREAT FOR ME OTHER THAN THIS ONE INDIVIDUAL WITH A MAC. I'M
JUST WONDERING IF THERE'S SOME ENCODING PROBLEM WHEN HER COMPUTER SENDS
NON-TEXT FILES (JPGS, ANYWAY). BUT SHE SAYS NO ONE ELSE IS COMPLAINING.)

I'LL CHECK FOR YOUR FURTHER RESPONSES.