From: Rick Pingry on
Hi,

I am using Word Automation with MFC. Things are going well, except that I
noticed that when I open up a document or create a new document, misspelled
words are not being underlined with the red squigglies (technical term). I
have looked at all of the options and they seem to be correct. If I open
WORD up directly, the red squigglies show with misspelled words, but not in
the instance of WORD that I open. IF I type a new word I know is misspelled,
like "asdfsadf ", I still do not see the red squiggly.

I noticed that I could hit F7 and the Spelling and Grammar dialog would
show, and my red squigglies would then show. I tried calling
document.CheckSpelling(), and that worked as well, except if there WAS a
misspelled word in the doc, the Spelling and Grammar dialog will also show
up, hidden by another window which makes my app appear to hang. I don't
really want the dialog to show at all, I just want my red squigglies to work.
I have also tried getting the SpellingErrors collection and tried using the
SpellingChecked and ShowSpellingErrors flags to no avail.

There seems to be a global application state set somewhere, because if I
open up any external instances of WORD while mine is still running, the same
thing happens, but if I close my instance and open up another external
instance, it seems to work properly as before.

Thanks for any help
-- Rick
From: Doug Robbins - Word MVP on
Is the Option for Check spelling as you type turned on?

Options.CheckSpellingAsYouType = True

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.